2011 Surly Pugsley Fat Bike

16'' from axle to bridge, as a comparison my cannondale hybrid is 14.5''....and that is wearing 26x2.0 rubber compared to 26x3.8 on the pug.

there is lots of clearance still, some folk are sticking the 4.7'' tires on them now, same as the moonlander wears.

So what does the Moonlander do that your current fat doesn't? I know it's got even bigger wheels/tyres but what does that give you in the real world over the one you have?

the moonlander gearing is slightly different, 22/36t upfront with 9sp 11-34 cassette compared with the pugsleys 22/32/44t upfront and 9sp rear 11-34 cassette, but its the specific 100mm rims and 4.7'' tires that provide more traction and float over the normal pugs.

you can stick the 4.7'' big fat larrys on the 70mm pugsley but you would lose the granny ring and 3-4 rings on cassette as the chain would fowl the tire, the moonlander has a double offset crank to compensate and the wheels have a 28mm offset.

i wanted 2 fat bikes so my girlfriend has the use of one as she lives at the coast (south lakes) so rather than buy 2 the same i opted for a moonlander (over another mukluk) as they had just been announced by surly at the time (september) luckily i got a pre order in quick and i have secured one of a now sold out small batch coming to the UK in december.

Nice Pugs :cool: .

The more I think about it, I reckon one of these would be excellent for the trails I ride. Usually I'll discover a new piece of single track in my local forest, then a few weeks later the boys on the MX bikes have found it too and ruined it for the MTB's. I think a Fatbike would allow me to ride those trails again. In fact, I may have drank too much wine last night and placed an order for a 9Zero7......

if you like exploring, going anywhere, they are great.

i often just potter along then turn off over a field or marsh, coastal area, basically just head off anywhere i want on this thing, its great.

i also like singlespeed bikes, so going slower isnt a problem for me, i have faster bikes, but nothing thats as fun as fat.

you just go at your own pace with one of these and explore, its like when you first discover biking, enjoying the great outdoors and go places you wouldnt go on foot or via roads.

Thats my thinking. I love discovering new trails and I usually ride alone so being a bit slower is not an issue. Saying that, I'm starting to read a few threads where people are doing xc races on them and doing surprisingly well.

Fudd":33zblmwb said:
Thats my thinking. I love discovering new trails and I usually ride alone so being a bit slower is not an issue. Saying that, I'm starting to read a few threads where people are doing xc races on them and doing surprisingly well.

reading the stories on the MTBR fat forum there is more and more fat bikes getting used alongside normal bikes at race events now, and they are doing a bit too well considering the conflict brought up on a few websites recently :LOL:

im no speed machine, but in the right hands they are doing really well :shock: :cool:

theres folk out there doing SS fatties, even doing well in competitions.

seen some down to 27lb etc on a sort of fat diet, lighter weight but still huge traction from the big rubber!

Back