polished_147.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 822
  • old_dogs_108.jpg
    old_dogs_108.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 822
Rod_Saetan":fy28nb51 said:
WIP:

P1000870.JPG

Sorry to interject Gents, could i trouble someone for a quick explanation of the riding characteristic the the seat-tube stay being so noticably offside to the top bar....provides.

I'm guessing you mean why is the seat tube extended so high above the top tube? In which case it doesn't alter the riding characteristic at all.

pete_mcc":1wjzhrv3 said:
I'm guessing you mean why is the seat tube extended so high above the top tube? In which case it doesn't alter the riding characteristic at all.

Yeah thats what i meant, just asking ;) , i was told the tighter rear triangle of the Saracen Kili offered greater acceleration/up-hill (certainly feels that way) and wondered what the greater triangle on the Roberts actually offered.

It was a common style at the time adopted by many builders. It was the same time as many builders were trying out sloping top tubes. It could be that they had the parts like the dropout were designed with standard double diamond frames in mind so just built them as they always did and then just dropped the top tube, or it could just be a styling thing! Didn't offer anything other than novel looks though!

pete_mcc":17yb80n8 said:
It was a common style at the time adopted by many builders. It was the same time as many builders were trying out sloping top tubes. It could be that they had the parts like the dropout were designed with standard double diamond frames in mind so just built them as they always did and then just dropped the top tube, or it could just be a styling thing! Didn't offer anything other than novel looks though!

Thanks for the reply fella ;)

What he said, it was a leitmotif of Tom Bromwich MTB frames and a lot of Overburys for instance, and this particular Roberts has a slightly dropped top tube - not a common occurrence in 1988.

There's also the fact that long seatposts were relatively hard to find in the early days of mountain biking. Leaving the seatstay attachment high on the seat tube supports the seatpost in bending, and lets you get away with a shorter post, which in turn puts less stress on the frame.

I have a real 1988 white/ orange spider and a replica 1990 white spider. Neither are built yet:
front%20end%20cyt.jpg.opt320x239o0,0s320x239.jpg

This one was a write off but i tried to rebuild the frame like the 1990 pug roberts one and I have the campag to go on it.
whole%20bike.jpg.opt659x494o0,0s659x494.jpg

This was the one that I had the descussion over if there are only 4 tubes (the stays) that are original I think is no longer a roberts....

http://omsbikes.yolasite.com/re-builds.php

I plane to get the white and orange built up with all 1988 deore xt and suitable gear.

Pete

Back