Please explain UST tyres/wheels

Fitting is done by fitting as per normal tube then pouring in some stans sealant before putting the bead fully on.

Then pump up the tyre with an air compressor or c02 cartridge, thenswirl the stans all around the tyre to make sure it gets everywhere.
Let it to set for a while then pump up fully.

Think thats right.

http://www.justridingalong.com the FAQs on the right hand side are reasonably informative.

I'm sold on tubeles, the tyres are always a sod to get on and sealed, but I am getting better at it with practice. Tyre sealant is messy and gets everywhere, and also needs to be replenished regularly. Once on and sorted tubeless is brilliant punctures virtually non existant, I only carry a pump/tube on long rides never bother on local trails. Low pressure running is possible as you don't get snakebite/pinch flats, I usually run x-country at 25psi which gives good grip and a smooth ride.

Give it a go
Cheers Giles.

It just sounds to good to be true. Or is that the cynic in me coming out?

Certainly UST wheels are a lot lighter and those that use them like them a lot.

Some thing worth investigating once i have spare cash

Thanks

It's a minefield of information; there's "tubeless" , "UST", "tubeless ready", not to mention "ghetto" tubeless...
UST tyres seem to be made of lead, weighing more than a normal tube and tyre, so what's the point? Tubeless ready are normal tyre weight, 500gms or so.
I run two sets of tubeless, one with Stans rim tape, and one with gaffer tape, both with Stans sealant. The Stans rims have not needed pumping up for over two months, but the gaffers seem to need it after every other ride. Both sets of tyres are "tubeless ready" Bontis, XR2s and MudX, on DT4.2 rims. They are no harder to get on and off than ornery tyres. On Stans rims though, they were a nightmare to get on.
I have to say, I'm very impressed with Bonti tyres now! :D Light grippy and fast!
Go for it!

I've been running UST tyres on UST rims since 2004 and its some much simpler than a ghetto setup or stan rim strip. Using a little bit of sealant they can be pumped up with any hand pump and while the UST tyres are heavier they are problem free when compared to the non UST ones.

So to answer your questions

Fitting: If its UST its like any other tyre just don't put a tube in.
Repair: Run a little stans sealant and there is nothing to repair. I've had tyres with over 100 tiny pin holes at the end of their life (tread worn out) and they always held pressure.
Maintenance: If you live in warmer climates replace the sealant every 6 months (take 5 miutes to do).

Back