GIOS Super Record Torino

claret73

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Uh! Oh...
I guess this is what comes of having this site as a constant Open Tab with the Net on...

Just bought this - (See Pics). Have always wanted a Gios. Almost bought one at Race Scene in 2002 when I went to get measured for a race frame but the Gios were not off the peg due to the seat tube angle I required. Plumped for my Borghini. Anyhow, Fast Forward spending lots of time on here, a rerun of the 1976 Hell of the North and swiftly followed an EBay Auction...end result what I think amounts to a 52cm 1979/80 'Super Record Torino'. Checked out all the features it should have (ie. it's not a copy) and thankfully it does. It's a wreck and will require a paint job. Going to get options on this as saw a thread on here that was done with painted white panels under the 'Gios Torino' rather than the decal panels. As long as the geometry is close it WILL be a keeper & a project of some investment - Note to self 'Need a Job to actually fund this!'...So don't expect too much progress fellas, it's gonna be a long haul...

Attachments

• GT_1.jpg
    GT_1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 5,046
  • GT_2.jpg
    GT_2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 5,046
How exciting. They are one of the top five six classic colour schemes, in my opinion - lovely. I know very ittle about them so look forward to finding out more as you progress your project. Apologies if (any or all of) the following are stupid questions -
Have you got it in your hands, now?
Have you established the suitability of the geometry, yet?
Who's name is on the top tube? Is this an ex-team bike?

Good luck and enjoy the journey,

David

David
No, I've not got it yet. Literally just bought it...It's in France at the moment. I'm not sure of the signature. I do need to find out as would like to get it replicated back onto the new paint if I could establish its origins. That is if it's an ex Pro issue & not an amateur wannabe sig...Fun! Fun! Fun!...

Saw that one too. A bit small for me so glad I didn't bid against you. :)

Looking forward to see it all set up and running.

I met Marco Gios at L'eroica this year, and he agreed to sell me one of his limited edition replica Super Record frames. It was on the condition that I go to Turin to collect it - he will not ship.

Bit like a pilgrimage really. Getting the components is going to be interesting.

jCymbal":3p04xfvz said:
Saw that one too. A bit small for me so glad I didn't bid against you. :)

Looking forward to see it all set up and running.

I hope I can do the same justice that you have done to your Gazelle! I read that thread all the way through! A Superb end result!...

Gios

I had mine re-painted at C & G in liverpool and they have the correct colour.
Got the transfers from GTS 753 in Australia...
If you want to do it the same as De Vlvaemincks bike in 'Hell of the North'
remember do not get the white transfers...

Re: Gios

orbeas":3w44bj9l said:
I had mine re-painted at C & G in liverpool and they have the correct colour.

Cheers! I'll take a look at that company. It won't be like Rogers' as it looks like it's a later model. I think the White Panels only came into the design later and it has the Silver coins on Blue Forks which seems 1979 onwards. Putting an exact year though is not easy unless any GIOS owners can contribute? Frame should be here end of the week when I can get more images up...

The frame arrived today from France & am very Happy!...Pictures of the frame's features, hopefully concluding its authenticity. I will be registering it on the Gios Registrar, so hopefully I'll get some info back from the Guys there...

Attachments

• Web_1.jpg
    Web_1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 4,789
  • Web_2.jpg
    Web_2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 4,789
  • Web_3.jpg
    Web_3.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 4,789
  • Web_4.jpg
    Web_4.jpg