My 1991 Arthur Caygill 653

I think that's everything, so here are some photos of the whole bike!

DSCN7648.jpg

DSCN7663.jpg

DSCN7666.jpg

DSCN7667.jpg

DSCN7662.jpg

DSCN7664.jpg

What a fantastic machine. I thought I was alone in prefering Shimano over Campag. Having said that I went for Campagnolo on my build.

That looks perfect and my size too!

The full build list! Most parts are either mine from BITD or NOS. I think the only 'modern' bits are the chain, tubs, spokes and cables. The saddle is new, not original, but they're the same now as they were 20 years ago!

F+F: Arthur Caygill 653, custom built as per the order form at the top of the thread, modified various times to change the chainstays and re-space to 130mm, remove the TT cable guides and install an internal cable. It's also on it's third colour scheme (but all of them have been mainly blue)
Headset: Campagnolo Mirage
Stem: Cinelli XA, 125mm
Bars: Cinelli Giro d'Italia 64-44
Tape: benotto pearl white
brakes: mavic 451 (NOS)
brake levers: mavic 451
gear levers: dura ace 7402
BB: campagnolo record 111mm
chainset: C-record, 172.5mm, 52 (campagnolo original), 39 (Spec. TA)
front mech: dura ace 7402
rear mech: dura ace 7402
cassette: dura ace 7402, 13-23
chain: KMC 8s (modern)
hubs: sachs new success (NOS)
rims: mavic mach 2 cd 2 (NOS)
spokes: DT competition (32h, 2x front, 3x rear)
QR: campagnolo chorus
tubs: schwalbe milano (modern)
seatpost: campagnolo chorus (NOS)
saddle: regal
pedals: look PP186

I have noted down the weight of everything except the bartape, cables, bottle cages, and maybe one or two nuts and bolts. All in all, it's a very respectable 21 lbs (weight calculated as the sum of all parts, not by actually weighing the bike!)

I do really like campagnolo too, but there is just something so functional about shimano stuff from this era, and some of it isn't bad looking either! I didn't set out intending to make the bike such a mix, it just sort of happened - I already had some bits, and as I found others that went well and matched the build (and were a reasonable price!), I started putting it together. I've tried to use only bits from the early 90's, and I think I've more or less managed it, with the exception of a few parts.

Smashing! Very nice build. I believe he will still build you a new frame in steel.

1001 different brands and models - it could be a Dutch build. Gives a pretty good overview of what was available at the time. No Superbe?

Bottom line is that it is a very handsome, elegant bike.

here's an updated pic - swapped the regal to my modern carbon bike, and put a rolls on the caygill (thanks justin!) I've also swapped some parts, to make it more or less a full shimano build - cranks, brakes, levers, cables and seatpost have all been changed to ultegra 6400 series, and I have some dura ace QRs to change for the campag ones too. I think the only campag parts will be the headset and chainstay protector (which I might swap for a clear one anyway). I actually like it more now that it has fewer shiny parts - it's a bit more subtle. Besides, I need the campag bits for my next project :) ignore the missing crank dustcaps, I forgot to put them on before going for a ride this morning!

Attachments

• IMAG0092 (Large).jpg
    IMAG0092 (Large).jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 1,582

Latest posts

Back