Retro-Vintage Custom - Feather Cycles

Roadking - yes, pics taken before it was ridden. I actually visited former pro Adrian Timmis in Staffs and had a proper fitting - both stem and seatpost are now less extended. Apologies for the 'vintage tag' - I take your point. I think I was trying to convey that I wanted the bikes' aesthetic to have a vintage feel. I'll be posting pics of my most recent acquisitions shortly - a 1954 Gillot and a (marginally younger) Holdsworth Monsoon which in both cases, and if I may, I will refer to as 'vintage'.

Fiks - the slightly higher headtube was done on purpose to give me a more upright riding position and was angled back slightly for the the same purpose. The upshot is my days of neck, shoulder, back, wrist and hand pain on non-custom bikes are a distant memory.

Spokesmann - have ridden it lots. It had its maiden voyage in the south of France around the vineyards of Languedoc Rousillion. Not a bad way to break her in.

Midlife (love that username - sums it all up really!) - the photo's show the colour lighter than it actually is. It's more of an ivory/vanilla colour which goes rather nicely with the chroming and the brooks saddle, bar tape and Dia Compe tyres.

Cheers for all the comments fella's.

Re the extended head tube

Yes I'm aware they are done so that the bars can go higher.

IMO it would look better not to have them, instead use a longer fork steerer and fit spacers in the headset.

Tubby.....

Cream / vanilla/ white, Class act......looks like a million dollars to me :)

I've been "Midlife" on the Subaru Impreza Forums for about 8 years, my "crisis" is a 400 horesepower methanol injected impreza LOL

I decided to get back into riding and bought myself a Basso which rides pretty well but a bit numb......hence trying to get one of my old bikes back on the road.

On reflection my £1200 plus for the basso might have been better spent on a bike like yours. You don't need to answer but what was the ball park figure ??

Shaun

That's a stunner - loving the old school feel but with modern components, couldn't have picked a better spec list imho!

Seen a few of the Feather frames popping up here & there, between him & Donhou amongst others there's some excellent new talent emerging in UK framebuilding which is a good sign for the UK bike scene in general.

Out of interest, how does the framebuilding cost compare with the likes of BJ & Mercian - obv the chroming & custom options would add a bit, but what sort of ballpark figure do the Feather frames start at if you don't mind me asking?

John

Awesome, good mate of Rickys, good to see him getting the publicity he deserves, it's a tough business to crack!

Very nice, a true classic even if it is a new build.

If extended head tubes were good enough for Miguel Indurain then etc. etc.............................................. ;)

Re:

'Extended head tube' must be modern for 'raised stem'.
Did all pro riders not ride as small a frame as possible back in that day?
Deep drop bars let them raise the tops for climbing, but with a flat back for the rouleur's days.

Re: Feather - Lite.

:roll:
roadking":3pwwonap said:
Custom build?

Lot of stem extension, saddle position - pics taken before you rode it?

Looks pretty, not sure about the modern-retro-vintage monicker...modern, well it's new, retro certainly, vintage unequivocally not.

Bikes in GQ magazine, what next?

Roadking.
:roll:

Back