Coast to coast off road

D_XZ":5827xng3 said:
Any chance you still have details of the route you took? This one would be really convenient for me!

Day One: Whitehaven > Cleator Moor > Lamplugh (following Sustrans C2C route) - at Loweswater take the higher bridleway (BW) to the south of the lake > C2C route to Whinlatter > descend using trail centre routes and on towards Keswick > head south and pick up Allerdale Ramble BW west of Derwent Water > continue S to Rosthwaite > BW SE and then S over Stake Pass and on into Langdale > pick up B road to Ambleside and then A road to YHA.

Day Two: Ambleside YHA > minor roads to Staveley > then E on minor roads and BWs to Garnett Bridge > A road North to Borrowdale > South East on rough track/BW through Borrowdale then NE on BW to Roundthwaite > minor roads through Tebay > minor roads and BW East to Brownber > North onto Crosby Garrett Fell NE on BWs to Crosby Garrett > through Soulby then minor roads and track to Winton > follow minor road through Rookby and Heggerscales to Wrenside > follow poorly defined BW up to minor road > SE on road to Tan Hill Inn > choice of BWs across Melbecks Moor SE to Reeth.

Day Three: Reeth B&B > minor road to Marske > continue NE and pick up BW below Whitcliffe Scar and on into Richmond > B road and BWs to Catterick Bridge > minor roads through Bolton on Swale > Streetlam > Danby Wiske > continue SE through Brompton > then East to cross A19 at Jeater Houses > pick up second BW just before Thimbleby heading S to Over Silton > then SE and then NE on BW to Square Corner > East on minor road then onto BW to Locker Low Wood > N on minor road to pick up BW climbing NE onto Arnsgill Ridge > continue NE on BW to Chop Gate.

Day Four: Chop Gate B&B > B road N to Seave Green > climb up BW onto Urra Moor > continue to Bloworth Crossing > follow disused railway to Blakey Ridge > cross minor road and continue on railway SE > cross next minor road at Bank Top > head South at Ana Cross to Lastingham > follow minor roads East through Cropton and on to Newton-on-Rawcliffe > BW down to Levisham Station > climb out N on minor road and then BW > follow BW to Hole of Horcum > cross A169 and follow BW SE towards Dalby Forest > pick up Dalby trails to Bickley Gate (Toll gate) > follow minor roads East towards Langdale End > continue SE to Everley > BW SE and NE to Scalby Nabs > local roads through Scarborough to North Bay then South Bay.

-----
The first day is tough due to the route over the Stake Pass. Greenup Edge and then onto Loughrigg Terrace would've been easier but both mean a tough carry up. It was extra tough for me when I did it as I had badly bruised ribs from a crash the week before. The painkillers really screwed my body up too.
There are easier ways to get through the Lakes.

The other three days are much more rideable with no carrying required. The BW up to Tan Hill is a real slog though. The Dales coming into Reeth are stunning and the riding in the North York Moors is brilliant.

Hope this helps.

AR-CoolC":3axqnejl said:
As with the title, anyone done it?

On a bored Sunday evening last night I was idley perusing the internet and googled coast to coast where of course loads of hits came back.

Routes seem to be Workington - Sunderland, or Workington - Whitby.

What others are there? has anyone plotted one? how long does it take? what did you use as support etc.

Just an interesting thought for something to do next summer maybe at the minute.

Hit me!

In 2003 we did the Sustrans C2C one from Whitehaven to Sunderland. I think we split it over four days because we stayed in Buttermere, Langwathby and Ruswarp. We were both on retrobikes and it was pretty easy, although we had booked accommodation and so didn't have to lug camping stuff. Only did one bit off road, by some lead mining places near Ruswarp I think.
The A66 bit from Keswick to Penrith is pretty dreary, although it's intercut with a nice bridleway on an old railway line. We both got up Hartside bank [?] a lot easier than I expected, although I'm not sure if I could still do that now.
It kindled a bit of a fascination with the high-Pennines in Northumbria and Cumbria and I learnt that Sunderland isn't the minging place that non-Maccams try to make out.
Support, I had a load of tools in my pannier- me and my mate had one pannier each to save weight and it felt a bit wierd when you took the luggage of to cycle to the pub and the bike wasn't trying to stear itself!- The only thing I could have left at home was my heavy Canon SLR, as this was before digital. I even had a ratchet and crank puller, which I needed because my mates crank came lose and I had to take it off and refit it :roll:

I did the C2C Sustrans route in 1998 - only one of us had a full susser, whose shock failed on day 1. The rest of us were on rigids as we still aspired to sus forks.

The weather can be unpredictable *cough* on the top of the Pennines, but it's a great route.

Back