1993 Raleigh Activator 2

clockworkgazz":3n6s8jdi said:
Glad you like it and dont take offense, but it still looks terrible.

You are looking at the same bike? lol but seriously no offense taken, its all a bit of fun :)

poweredbypies":1wmhlgfa said:
Would be quite funny to see one decked out in all the top kit n forks :LOL:
Funny in a sorta post-modern-ironic way? Or just funny?

I see no harm in gentle upgrades and not pretending anything it's not, but all the same, putting on truly decent kit would look out of place.

All the same, nicely tidied up, with a gentle application of better quality finishing kit, can be a nice memento for some.

legrandefromage":2mmloaoj said:
Neil":2mmloaoj said:
Enter it in the next available BOTM - I double dare you. Who knows, you may get a pleasant surprise on how many votes it gets.
No votes
Who's to say - stranger things have happened.
legrandefromage":2mmloaoj said:
its not a restoration or an authentic rebuild...
Are you saying the rules make it ineligible for entry - or merely that you think they should?

Neil":3de5ydeq said:
legrandefromage":3de5ydeq said:
Neil":3de5ydeq said:
Enter it in the next available BOTM - I double dare you. Who knows, you may get a pleasant surprise on how many votes it gets.
No votes
legrandefromage":3de5ydeq said:
Are you saying the rules make it ineligible for entry - or merely that you think they should?

Thats a great cast and a juicy bit of bait, now will the cheesefish have a wee nibble?

Neil":25y4d8hs said:
poweredbypies":25y4d8hs said:
Would be quite funny to see one decked out in all the top kit n forks :LOL:
Funny in a sorta post-modern-ironic way? Or just funny?

I see no harm in gentle upgrades and not pretending anything it's not, but all the same, putting on truly decent kit would look out of place.

All the same, nicely tidied up, with a gentle application of better quality finishing kit, can be a nice memento for some.

Just funny.

clockworkgazz":30o8qtbd said:
Neil":30o8qtbd said:
legrandefromage":30o8qtbd said:
Neil":30o8qtbd said:
No votes
legrandefromage":30o8qtbd said:
Thats a great cast and a juicy bit of bait, now will the cheesefish have a wee nibble?
Truth be told, I guess I am a bit tongue in cheek about the whole thing, but all the same:-

1) what's the harm - it may be happy memories for some...
2) as to the BOTM suggestion, it's not my intention to suggest some subversive concept, or to undermine anything - or that such a bike would have any chance of winning, I just think commensurate tidying and perhaps mild upgrading, could result in a bike that reminds some of where they first started

I'm not suggesting there should be such a huge celebration of MTB -shaped-objects, nor even that they should be taken seriously, I just think that many of the Raleigh faux MTBs, had a certain character, that some of the supermarket or no-name BSOs didn't. Maybe that's misplaced, maybe that's merely my own bias - but all the same, I'm painting that and just putting it in the background.

I think it looks pretty good. As it is mentioned here more then once, can anybody tell me how to determine how high of components one can mount on a certain frame? I mean, does it deserve points for material, geometry, dropouts, welds etc and the sum determines the range? :LOL:

Anyway, I would go for a flex stem, that would really suit it. Just curious, what is the weight now?

WOW, this thread has certainly generated some very mixed feelings.

My take on this is i'm currently 40+ years old, and many many moons, when i was knee high to a grasshopper i knew nothing of Mountain Bikes, Quality and the various named parts, Sugino, Suntour, Shimano, Sachs Huret, etc, Elswick, Dawes, Raleigh, Viking, BSA, the list goes on, But as a lad i saw a bike, didnt care what it was, if it looked good then it was on my Xmas list of B-day wish list.......I guess what i am trying to say is that i never had a top branded mountain bike as a Kid, but now as my awareness and appreciation of the pedigrees of the MTB stable improves i have hunted high and low and now have a fine selection of bikes, and yes i know the Raleigh is parked up alongside them, It is fun, it is a giggle, and it does stir so many memorys of my childhood, so take it tongue in cheek, as i am sure i am one of hundereds of 'Retrobikers' who followed the same path :)

Senri":3livvsjr said:
I think it looks pretty good. As it is mentioned here more then once, can anybody tell me how to determine how high of components one can mount on a certain frame? I mean, does it deserve points for material, geometry, dropouts, welds etc and the sum determines the range? :LOL:

Anyway, I would go for a flex stem, that would really suit it. Just curious, what is the weight now?

Anyone got a Flexstem? i am willing to give it a go :)

Will weigh it over next few days :)

Back