DSC00894.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,278
  • DSC00895.jpg
    DSC00895.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,278
  • DSC00896.jpg
    DSC00896.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,278
That's very nice indeed. What year is the frame?

Do you mind me asking how your steel bikes compare with your Cervelo? I see in your signature line that you have an RS and they seem to have been discontinued for next year but I've always liked the look of them. Have you had any issues with the RS? The Cervelo forum has a few complaints of cracks around the bottom bracket.

And just out of interest, do you ride the Cervelo more than the steel bikes?

The top tube is 1 1/8 th so I guess early 90s? Not sure of Columbus timeline.
I built with 105 group because it's a mid-range frame and I felt it was correct for the look / period, very happy so far.

Some of the RS 'failures' were in fact lacquer cracks around the BB , but I have a mate who is on his 3rd frame :(

The Cervelo is supremely comfortable, I did 40 miles to the first stop on one sportive and realised I hadn't shifted my position once ( or maybe it was the cold! )

I ride the steelies most of the time, they just have so much character, the Bertin ( up for a vote in BOTM ) is the most comfortable tho i can't really say why, it's just a sweet frame, but I'm gonna need a bit of help on climbs with 52/42 at the front and 13-19 at the back!

I suppose the short answer is the Cervelo for sportives and group rides and the steelies for a leisure ride with a couple of mates; I actually enjoy fewer gears, much more relaxing and unfussed way of getting around. :D

Cheers for that - your mate is certainly persistant if he's on his 3rd RS frame! :shock: I'm hesitating about the RS partly because of the problem stories and partly because I like steel too. And for the cost of an RS frame a new hand-made Tommasini is a tempting option.

Your Bertin is lovely although I have to admit I voted for the Somec... I agree with your point about group rides vs. relaxed getting around. I ride by myself (sniff...) and so I'm only fighting against the gradient and the headwind...

yeah I thought the Somec was museum quality tho' I'd be scared to ride it!

There's some really good carbon stuff out there, my girlfriend got a Bottechia 8avio carbon from Colin Lewis in Paignton, well under 2K for a full Campy Veloce build and it rides beautifully, plus it has the Italian thing...

http://www.bottecchia.com/articolo.asp?IDCatProd=3&ID=9

If I had the money I'd be tempted by a Cinelli, Tommasini etc lugged frame, tho you'd be looking at a few grand for a nice build. All my steelies only cost a few hundred quid ( well before I start hunting down DA or SR bits! ) so they are great cheep (ish) tools to fettle and enjoy :)

Back