MacKlunker - SATURDAY 5th MAY, Postponed...

clockworkgazz":20lslhav said:
zigzag":20lslhav said:

expand please.
No, haven't bought anything (yet) Gazz. Just referring to the fact that velo managed to bodge his headset without resorting to modern tech. He's setting the period correct bar pretty high on this one.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Not technically relevant but an indication what can be done with a Raleigh Twentyhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIXED-WHE...UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item45fe220b15#ht_1604wt_942

Also I heard a mention of a Raleigh Superbe, if its a 4 speed or twin cable 5 speed SA hub, be warned Sturmey Archer never quite got them right. The 4 speed jumps out of 4th gear frequently and the twin cable 5 speed is an utter bugger to readjust if you need to refit the wheel after a puncture. As for 3 speeds if you go for lower than 2:1 ratio on 2nd gear (the direct drive gear) the internal torque can feck the hub but if you dont your lowest gear is only 25% less than 2nd which makes it no better than a single speed. 3rd gear is 35% greater than 2nd. I'd suggest combining it with a double or triple chainset to increase options ;)

I'm currently struggling with gear options on my twenty as currently its a very spinny single speed :roll:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If its downhill why all the gears?

Managed to find a 55t TA outer ring in my spares box. I hope its steep.

Dr S":3qt51x19 said:
If its downhill why all the gears?

Managed to find a 55t TA outer ring in my spares box. I hope its steep.

been wantin to use the SA wheel for a while - it'll also add much weight :LOL:

Problem with a 20 inch wheel with a bmx screw on ss freewheel is getting a high enough gear. 63 inches of gearing is the highest I've achieved so far but I'm still working on it ;)

Impressive :shock:

Thats a new size, 27 x 1&1/4 was always the biggest in that size.

Remember though that 700c is as old as 27x1&1/4 and tyres wider than 37 have existed since before ATB's.

Frame tyre clearance is the biggest issue.

I think I may have to ditch the twenty idea if everyone else is going big wheel, off to ebay we go :LOL:

Hud on, just noticed, 37-609, what size wheels are those :?
700c are 622mm and 27" are 630mm so whats 609mm, some weird continental size......

Back