MacKlunker - SATURDAY 5th MAY, Postponed...

You are completely right as per the the AHeadset its just its the best bodge to address one of the Raleigh Twenties major shortcomings. In an original Twenty the top cup is replaced with a nylon bushing which as it does not involve bearings produces an unsatisfactory steering experience. Unfortunately due to the strange threading system used in the steerer the thread stops about an inch above the top cup thus a normal threaded headset will not work hence the AHeadset top cup combined with a threaded headset lockring works best. I will give the system further thought !
Cant easily get the thread in the steerer extended because its Raleighs own 26 TPI threading not the international standard 24TPI :roll:

I am suggesting people think realistically about safety. Chrome rimmed wheels will not give good stopping in the wet, infact they wont give any stopping at all. If steel rims are essential for your build then best fit drum brakes.
Check shirts and jeans are de rigeur plus any other 70's fashion statements you care to add. Helmets are also mandatory even if they spoil the look ;)

Don't worry Velo, if chrome rims are involved they will have been thoroughly attacked with heavy grit sandpaper and roughed up completely, it worked back in the day. Mind you I was younger and stupider then.

a bodge to make something more suitable for off-road would appear to well within the spirit of the event, although using tech from 15 years in the future would seem to be a bit Marty McFly.

I have rebodged using old school technology.
I have used a crown race placed upside down in the top cup, back filled with spacers and locked down with the appropriate lock rings. In theory at least it should be fine. :D

So now you've picked me up on my failure to live up to the ideals of my own idea I am now going to be watching you lot ;)

Mr Panda":39z83xgm said:
3sp Sturmey Archer on mine :LOL:

..and a big front ring :p

I don't think I'll risk a big front ring, they just mean I end up going faster than my ability.

I was thinking maybe a 24 up front :oops:

Back