1998 Kona Cinder Cone

MattyZaskar

Retro Guru
I have just bought a 1998 Kona Cinder Cone from the Bay, the bloke has advertised it as a 1996/7 but according to the Kona Catalogue on here its a 1998 in an egg plant colour ???

I shall be picking it up on Friday.

Here are some pics..

Kona.jpg

Kona6.jpg

Kona2.jpg

Spec is a mix of Deore LX and STX, Truvativ fiveD chainset, its had a new chain and new Panaracer XC tyres.

Front Forks need either a service or replacing completely, so ill try to get them serviced if not ill be on the look out for some rock shox's.

Plans for it im not sure yet, may strip it and clean it up and run it or try and return it to its original spec...

£75! Saw that, bargain. He would have made more if he had offered postage.

I think it is a 1998 from what I can remember.

It wouldnt need a lot changing to make it a really nice bike, if it were me I'd quickly change the RST forks for some period bombers and ride it as it is. Replace what is needed when the time comes.

Cheers coomber, I thought it would have gone for more if I'm honest.

Bikepedia says it had Rock Shox Indy C's fitted in 1998, so I'm unsure what to fit to it..

Indy C's are pretty basic as well. If you think you saved yourself about £50-70 of what they usually go for, spend that on some Z2s or similar. There are some on the <1997 for sale section at the moment, and they are excellent plush forks.

I've got the bike home and it's in excellent condition bar the odd stone chip !!!

It rides really nice and I'm over the moon with it !!!!

I'm looking for a black LX front mech top pull I think(will size it later) think it's M567 as that's what the rear mech is.

LX M567 shifters 8 speed ??

New front shocks

May sell my XT shifters to fund the bits I need

Nice buy. Its 100% 1998 model. Looks similar to my 1998 Explosif.

Attachments

• retrobike 853.JPG
    retrobike 853.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 1,419
Back