1993 Raleigh Activator 2

Dr S":3ioi8fxt said:
Neil":3ioi8fxt said:
We_are_Stevo":3ioi8fxt said:
Motorcycle clubs have their 'Ratbike' subsection, looks like we have Raleigh Activators; could become a whole new thread, just to get up the 'Br*nd Sn*bs' noses ;)

Can't wait for the 'Coolwall' Poll...
I don't think brand snobs give a toss mate. If you want to waste time and money on rubbish then go for it.
(shrug) for somebody who seemingly doesn't give a toss, I'm mildly curious as to what attracted you to a thread about Raleigh Activators...
As I'm just about to pop over to Cumbria to collect an absolutely pristine Mk 1 Raleigh Mustang (The white and black one) bought on eBay for five English pounds, I thought i would check out a Raleigh thread thats running at seven pages to see what the craic is.
Well takes all sorts, I suppose.

I just often boggle at the concept of telling people they're wasting time and money on rubbish, by, um, wasting time reading and responding to threads about the, um, said, "rubbish".

Something is not like all the others...
How many Mustang owning brand snobs do you know then Neil? (apart from PeteMcc who has six).
Well, don't actually "know" any Mustang owners (least not for at least 20 years). And can't say as I actually know any brand snobs, either, so I'd make that, um, roughly zero.

Can't tell you how it warms my heart to hear you're wasting time, money and effort on rubbish - no really, I can't tell you...

All the same, I do wonder why there are those that stoop to telling others that they're wasting their time on rubbish. I mean if there are people that are truly deluded as to the merits of such bikes, that's one thing, but it doesn't really seem that - it just seems like wanton churlishness. That's the oddness - many seem to waste their time on rubbish, telling others not to waste their time on rubbish - no matter where you're stood in the debate, you have to concede, there's a certain irony in that.

But then that's just my opinion, just like you expressed yours. Personally, this thread (or it's topic) that some would dismiss as worthless nonsense about rubbish has made me mildly curious about scratching that odd itch about acquiring something truly lowly, and perhaps nothing more than pastiche, for - what I imagine - we're all here for - reliving that nostalgic vibe from the early days.

Like many, my first toe in the water of mountain biking, was buying a Mustang - and even if that was something of a false start, Mustangs, Activators, and other such faux mountain bikes (or ATBs...) were what many first experienced along the way - so I have a certain sentimentality about them, even if there's no merit. But then sentimentality and nostalgia are par for the course, here - after all, if objectivity were brought to play, well it would be hard to argue with progress and evolution...

I had the same itch. I have space, its just down the road and it was a fiver. Nothing to lose really. Many of my friends and many on here owned Mustangs at some point. As you say, its nostalgia more than anything. It will no doubt raise a smile amongst visitors to my workshop and rekindle long forgotten memories. And thats what this place is about isn't it? I certainly wont lavish and more time or money on it apart from a wash and a spot of oil, and I'm under no illusions that it will be anything more than a poor bike at best- hence my suggestion that the OP and Stevo are wasting time by attempting to improve a poor bike when there are much better candidates to be had.
As for wasting time reading threads about 'rubbish'.... When it gets to seven pages it's often worth a look to see if someone has nudged Pete into one of his classic rants. They are always entertaining.

Si
Mustang Preservation Society

Dr S":2v1r3v4i said:
I had the same itch. I have space, its just down the road and it was a fiver. Nothing to lose really. Many of my friends and many on here owned Mustangs at some point. As you say, its nostalgia more than anything. It will no doubt raise a smile amongst visitors to my workshop and rekindle long forgotten memories. And thats what this place is about isn't it? I certainly wont lavish and more time or money on it apart from a wash and a spot of oil, and I'm under no illusions that it will be anything more than a poor bike at best- hence my suggestion that the OP and Stevo are wasting time by attempting to improve a poor bike when there are much better candidates to be had.
As for wasting time reading threads about 'rubbish'.... When it gets to seven pages it's often worth a look to see if someone has nudged Pete into one of his classic rants. They are always entertaining.

Si
Mustang Preservation Society
And on that note, I have to say I completely agree with everything you wrote, not least of all the slightly guilty pleasure of teeing up and eagerly awaiting Pete MC(c) on the mic, doing the do with one of his epic rants. There's a certain something about pulling off a rant in style, and that boy has it.

neil and dr s totally agree with almost every issue raised on these 7 pages

mine will be staying as it is for posterity....one day my kids will be able to say 'dad was clever to keep these in his collection'
:LOL:

going back to the reason why im keeping and collecting this sort of thing

when i was in a mini club in the 90s i owned a mini30 the only one in the club,everyone had coopers and were always competing to see who had the best

well we were at a show and everyone wanted to get a prize and always took the piss about my 'grey porridge' little mini

wel i romped away with 1st in class and they got nothing! :LOL: :D

nuff said!

The worst brand snobbery I've ever come across was by mini owners.
Many years ago I had a rare mini based kit car that was immaculate and won awards all over including the L2B one year. Yet it was snubbed by most show goers.
I was even docked points in the mini based kit car category because " it doesn't look much like a mini does it?"

Activator 2 Update - wheels are off, frame part stripped, possible mutation on the horizon (pauses to look through spare parts bin!!!) yes I have an idea, more photos to follow over next few days ;)

PS : lot of interest on this thread both good and bad ??? I'm guessing a lot of spectators on this article too :)

Turtles theme tune...

#teenage, mutant, activator, .. teenage, mutant, activator.. bike with a lead shell, raleigh power!!'

sorry, i'll get me coat, :oops:

Back