1993 Raleigh Activator 2

Ok so its arrived, well last night to be precise, but its only in the 'Daylight' that i can now fully survey my latest aquisition at last..........

Its heavy, weighs as much as a small planet, the welds are shockingly shoddy, and the front forks despite the condition of the bike dont actually move........the rear suspension if you can call it that does give about 1cm of movement, nice and plush eh? SAKAE, Sachs-Huret and a mixture of early Shimano dresses this beast up, and kinda keeps it moving and stopping. The saddle is beyond use seems to have had a small fire started within it???? Maybe caused by the heat generated to pedal this thing.......

So what are my plans?? have i lost my marbles?? well simply, No!!! There is something intriguing about this bike, ok its caused a stir on this thread alone, and also came top in the 'Worst Bike Poll', its like that WET PAINT sign warning you, however you just want to touch it to see if its really wet!!!! Its like the BIG RED BUTTON that says 'DONT PRESS' you just want to go and press it and see if it unleashes Armageddon.

Anyway, you get the picture, despite the comments this bike has raised, the accolades of being the worst, the fact its not really a pedigree MTB, just makes it all the more quirky and interesting. I have one, and i intend to tinker with it, and see what happens, so watch this space.........

Oh yeah, already i have shaved 4Kg of the weight of the bike by removing the Kickstand and Front Forks, replacing them with Rigids from an old Ridgeback........:)

Attachments

• DSCF3105Activator2.JPG
    DSCF3105Activator2.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,597
  • DSCF3099Activator2.JPG
    DSCF3099Activator2.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,598
  • DSCF3096Activator2.JPG
    DSCF3096Activator2.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 1,599
  • DSCF3100Activator2.JPG
    DSCF3100Activator2.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,600
C'mon peeps the challenge has been set for the tidest piece of shite bike you can find :LOL: Perhaps a set of rules? no quality makes allowed definatley no more than 21 gears lower the better, bonus point's for crap original accessories.

Agree we should have a bad bikes section... :cool:

I got a very similar welcome with my Raleigh Cobra 1988.

And um LGF was right, it weighs the same as a bridge, the brakes really don't work. However, the Sachs gears are the smoothest and most precise gears that I own :LOL:

Whats an activator going to cost, very tempted although that is 6 kg more than my Marin

:shock: Looks different to Johntomjoe's , hasn't got the extra bar between seat tube and top tube, was that a redesign to shave some weight off it? :LOL:

Seriously though, I know where there's a red and black one hiding, I think I may just have give it a home :?

Bob":2opntx2n said:
:shock: Looks different to Johntomjoe's , hasn't got the extra bar between seat tube and top tube, was that a redesign to shave some weight off it? :LOL:

Seriously though, I know where there's a red and black one hiding, I think I may just have give it a home :?

Go on do it, you know you want too ;) it is slightly different to Johntomjoe's not sure if they did re-design it slightly?? I'm glad I got it now :) £15 well spent in a moment of madness whilst perusing Fleabay :)

Loving the comments and looking forward to see what you do with yours
I must be either lucky with my one or fitter than I thought, having given up the fags I'm using mine more,(as well as my racer and a couple of 3 speeds )

The activator is comfy now its got a sprung seat,the brakes work fine and the gears are smooth
Ok so its a but heavy up hill on road ,but down the local cycle track and copse its quite good and the larger guess help,it was crap on 1/95 s

Bring on the crap bike section ,I can fill it up :D

aaaarrrgggghhhh my eyes..... i had an activator with just front sus when i was young, i tend to leave it out of my mind when it comes to telling people the bikes i had! after all they are catalogue bikes and poor quality . save up..... or buy a rockhopper comp like i did for 20 quid ! :roll:

johntomjoe":399xln4o said:
Well have you ?

No i havnt.. personally id like to say well done for saving it from the bushes !! :) If you ride it and enjoy it then good for you.. i also dont really care what its made of or how cheap it is.. I think you know its an old budget bike made for the cheaper end of the spectrum.. but so what...
My first mountain bike was a Townsend barracuda... and i won more races on that in the CMBC than i have with any other bike.. Its all my parents could afford and i loved it... I can buy any bike i want now( and often do) .. but i wouldnt turn my nose up at any ones bike... if you dont have anything good to say about it.. then perhaps just make one comment.. dont slate it loads of times :roll: easier just not to comment and let it drop down the page :)

magicmistertea":3bivcb9z said:
johntomjoe":3bivcb9z said:
Well have you ?

No i havnt.. personally id like to say well done for saving it from the bushes !! :) If you ride it and enjoy it then good for you.. i also dont really care what its made of or how cheap it is.. I think you know its an old budget bike made for the cheaper end of the spectrum.. but so what...
My first mountain bike was a Townsend barracuda... and i won more races on that in the CMBC than i have with any other bike.. Its all my parents could afford and i loved it... I can buy any bike i want now( and often do) .. but i wouldnt turn my nose up at any ones bike... if you dont have anything good to say about it.. then perhaps just make one comment.. dont slate it loads of times :roll: easier just not to comment and let it drop down the page :)

well said,as you say i know what to expect from a bike thats worth a fiver! and the ride...when i want comfort i use one of the others

looks like we may have a fan club emerging...1 new owner and a potential from iow!

Back