MacKlunker - SATURDAY 5th MAY, Postponed...

If you mean the frame, I think that would be allowed K - I might use some old cast iron down pipes and some JB weld. Any increased risk of total bike failure should be encouraged :)

If you mean build a bike from the tubes up then sure, go for it ;)

The technology involved in your Klunker must be pre mtb but the bike can be made of entirely new stuff. If you can prove carbon fibre in the format your using it was pre mtb then I have zero problem. If your using brand new cane creek cantilever brakes thats OK because cantilever brakes pre date mtb.

Your building a bike to use as a mtb from the perspective of someone in the early 1970's or earlier who has obviously never heard of mtb's and the mtb specific parts do not exist. Beyond that point you do not need to use authentic old stuff ;)

I have a vision of a grass track racer/ klunker type of thing, hub brakes, singlespeed, truss fork, brooks, inverted north road bars, 700c etc......pie in the sky just now but if I get my finger out....

that roadie thing panda was selling might be a good start

pair of renthals and some cx tyres sorted

I was off work ill today so put the time to good use having a look at Gumtree for something suitable.

Nothing there but loads of BSO mountain bikes and top end stuff.

nearly picked up a pug p10 roadie, but browser logged me out before i bid. glad really, probably too nice too trash off road.

There is a nice Italian 20" wheel folding ladies shopper. And it still had a nice tartan bag on the back. I though about replacing the bolts at the pivot with high tensile ones and trying out BMX tyres on it.

Then I thought about the potential injuries.

Ditto the tricycles I kept looking at.

I'm going for my Raleigh Twenty, they have off road potential as mentioned by Sheldon Brown. They have the capability of fitting BMX wheels and tyres and are quite tough but it'll be slow and terrain tougher than a landrover track maybe beyond it but the Repack is a steep loose dirt road not tight twisty root strewn rocky single track. Thus we must try and replicate the repack in the terrain we choose to ride.

Remember guys the frame must not be mtb but if you fit a canti capable fork I'll not get on at you. You need a tough bike and a spindly road fork that folds at the first bump would be bad and painful. No suspension mind unless you can prove its pre or non mtb status ;)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back