Early Muddyfox Lovers Anonynmous

thought i'd drag this thread back up as i've just bought a roadrunner from the site and got an explorer as a project bike. will put up some piccys asap.

Okay some advice if I may

I picked this up the other day for not too many pennies. Condition wise it's in good shape. Only minor faults are the original muddy fox leather seat has the wear through on the wall corners and the top cap is missing off the mountain lx left thumbie

the only changes from original seem to be a new rear wheel with a non descript rim but a joytech hub..and the crankset is a non descript shed type

Bearing in mind these do not sell for big money and as always on retrobike keeping in mind everything is for sale at some stage..what cheap crank set would you reccomend as a replacement and where can I get a thumbie mountain lx cap or do I need the whole shifter ?

The wheel I'm not to bothered about at this stage

DSCF0939.jpg

DSCF0943.jpg

sylus":zccsq85n said:
Okay some advice if I may

I picked this up the other day for not too many pennies. Condition wise it's in good shape. Only minor faults are the original muddy fox leather seat has the wear through on the wall corners and the top cap is missing off the mountain lx left thumbie

the only changes from original seem to be a new rear wheel with a non descript rim but a joytech hub..and the crankset is a non descript shed type

Bearing in mind these do not sell for big money and as always on retrobike keeping in mind everything is for sale at some stage..what cheap crank set would you reccomend as a replacement and where can I get a thumbie mountain lx cap or do I need the whole shifter ?

The wheel I'm not to bothered about at this stage

DSCF0939.jpg

DSCF0943.jpg

Closer pics of the cranks are needed but the CC was actually fitted with quite a low rent Exage Country set (about 300LX level) so it my be this that is still fitted, otherwise a 300LX set would be about right. As for the shifter a top cap can't be purchased but I have a reasonable condition LH LX shifter you can have for a fiver if you want.
Wheelset would have been Araya rims with some early 7's hubs (with possibly an early screw on freewheel), I don't think the LX kit even made it to the hubs as the bike that baz77 has also has fairly non-descript hubs too.
It's a nice bike and a good frame, cheapish overall bike that brought 21 speed to the masses earlier than most.

Carl.

Thanks for the reply Dr

sounds picky I know, does the shifter say mountain lx on? As I'd like to keep it matching with the r/h shifter?

sylus":3stw2kmg said:
Thanks for the reply Dr

sounds picky I know, does the shifter say mountain lx on? As I'd like to keep it matching with the r/h shifter?

Yep, Genuine Mountain LX (light action), PM me your mail address and I'll send you a pic.

Carl.

heathy":18hpxnde said:
Here's mine...
main.php

Its a early 90's courier comp with alivio group set 19" frame.
Anyone want to take it off my hands, could do with some dosh for a road bike ;)

I have this exact same frame but a 15'' version. I need to put some forks on it and was wondering if anyone knew what length I should get.

Still undecided between rigid or suspension but any help with axle to crown lengths or reccomended travel for sus forks greatly appreciated.

I just cant find any info online about the frame and what it originally came with.

Thanks
D

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,900
Looks nice! And is obviously the same era as mine. Do you know anything about it?
And can you tell me the length of the forks and the travel amount on the suspension please.

DuncanW":1zoxurtn said:
Looks nice, can you tell me the length of the forks and the travel amount on the suspension please.

These are a whopping 65mm travel. Length AtoC is circa 450mm

Edit: Plenty of info in the link in my signature :cool:

Back