1993 Raleigh Activator 2

Do please remember that the 'humble beginnings' of the mountain bike were a little different to how most of us started out riding.

A Raleigh Activator was just a pastiche, a facsimile, a copy of something else whose sole purpose was to cash in on the MTB market. Its nothing more than that and nothing further should be read into it. Its a shit comedy bike that doesnt have any importance as it didnt bring anything 'new' to cycling, just put it back further each time it had a new paint scheme.

These are the sort of bikes that gives cycling a bad name - shocking build quality with pennies spent on materials. So, it was your first bike - what a shame! What a piss-poor introduction to cycling! Even in 1990 there were good value bikes to be had but they were lost in the rush to by turds like this.

It's only a bike!
Someone has one and gets enjoyment from it, good for them.
Some of the responses would lead you to think there was a "ring" of these bikes swapping dirty pictures and touching cyclists in an "inappropriate manor".
Perhaps we now know who got to see the activator puppies in the bushes.
Remember, it's not your fault!.

NAILTRAIL96":ep1eq1mp said:
It's only a bike!
Someone has one and gets enjoyment from it, good for them.
Some of the responses would lead you to think there was a "ring" of these bikes swapping dirty pictures and touching cyclists in an "inappropriate manor".
Perhaps we now know who got to see the activator puppies in the bushes.
Remember, it's not your fault!.

Very good response! im now going doggin with mine :evil:
anyone sees a shit bike send it myway ,i will look after it!

Collect mine tomorrow :) will post pics, sounds like 'The Big Cheese' loves them ;) loving the idea of a new thread 'Forgotton Heroes' sorry, 'Ratbikes' :)

adding suspension to a Raleigh MTB seemed a good way of boosting interest and sales, hence the very successful Activator was created. This was a budget MTB with a simple Raleigh-designed telescopic front fork. Launched in 1992, it was advertised effectively on TV. The following year saw the introduction of Activator II, a dual suspension version, with a Raleigh-designed rear suspension system somewhat reminiscent of that used on the Raleigh-manufactured Moulton MkIII. Activator II launched at £260 (= about £315 today) and by May 1994 could be bought at discount for £200.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/raleigh.htm

All of that above depends on how you view success.

In terms of brand image and retaining customers, most would argue it was a disaster for Raleigh. A generation of young mountain bikers wouldn't be seen dead on any Raleigh. I've always felt it heavily undermined the great work Raleigh did in promoting mountain biking in the UK, such as the race team.

Back