1993 Caloi Andes Sport Build **Updated pics**

Cheers Stew the levers and shifters are back up for the XT ones you gave me, i think there 7 speed, i do need a 7 speed cassette though as i will be getting new hubs and wheels.

As for the frame/stickers i was going to take pics with a tape measure by them as i want them just as they should be, ill give Gil a PM

Spec so far....

FRAME: Caloi Andes Sport
FORKS: Answer Manitou's (en route)
STEM: tbc
GRIPS: tbc
FRONT MECH: tbc
REAR MECH: tbc
CHAINSET: tbc
HUBS: tbc
WHEELS: tbc
TYRES: tbc
SHIFTERS: Deore XT

More to come.......

Pickle":d9phyfbp said:
Loved these BITD, thought they looked 'well 'ard', a bit like the infamous British Eagle Boss DX.

Good luck.

LOL

I was sponsored by Eagle in the early 90's and had the first "Boss" in the country :) Got some National champs medals on that bike.

In 1993 I was sponsored by Caloi, and thats the Bike I road in the 1993 World Champs as a Junior.

Caloi were imported by a shop in Wolverhamptom, as as mentioned were from Brazil. They were a huge company that had aluminium mines, and factories as well as making bikes from the materials they mined and processed.

Worth noting that the only frame I ever broke was the Caloi, after most of a year of racing - I had to get a new frame for the National champs!

Saying that, I'd like to replicate that bike one day, as it has special memories :)

Due to splitting up from the ex misses the Caloi was left in the shed(at her house) for the last 12 months, but it will be with me by the end of the week so I can finally get it built !!!!!!!

Watch this space....

MattyZaskar":2syea6gc said:
Cheers Pickle, any info on them ? Im lead to believe they were made in south america and the frames were built to the same spec whether you bought a low spec bike or a high spec bike

Were built in Brazil as far as i can remember, in fact, Eddie Merckx won at least a Tour of France riding a Caloi , road version of course

I've picked the bike up tonight in the same state I left it in !!!! Bits I need are as follows:-

Wheels
Hubs
Canti's or V's
Stem
Chainset
Rear/front mech
Seat post and clamp
Seat

Going to powder coat it I think !!!! Anybody know of a powder coater in the Staffordshire area ???

Here are some recent pics of the Caloi...

018.jpg

017.jpg

013.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

009.jpg

Not sure if i will use these forks yet...

019.jpg

They may be up for sale or swap for bits i need.

Other bits i may swap..

Shimano SLX Shadow Rear mech

003-1.jpg

Shimano deore 7 speed STI shifters

001.jpg

002.jpg

Im unsure if im going to use these yet..

005-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

Im thinking of going bright white powder coated frame with black stickers, would like to put XT/XTR on it, but i keep swaying towards deore DX!!!

klunkerbr":31p97dde said:
Well, the Caloi Aluminium Series were a breed of bikes that ranged from low middle to top end rides.

From bottom to top:

Andes Express
Andes Sport 10
Andes Expert
Andes Pro 20
Andes Pro 10
Andes Elite
Andes Comp LX
Andes Comp XT
Andes Team

The low middle bikes had Cr-Mo forks, and the middle top bikes came with RS Quadra or Mag.
The Top End ones had italian Olria or Gippiemme dropouts.

I guess your's is really a 1993 model, that was the year the company started a series of marketing actions that culminated in the World Championship victory with Lance Armstrong (in a re-badged Merckx/Litespeed). Right after that Caloi started exporting frames and complete bikes to the american and european markets, so it's quite possible your bike was made in that era!

Caloi was BITD the greatest brazilian bike manufacturer, and one of the country's oldest company: it was founded in 1898. In the last ten or so years things changed and they focused their efforts in crappy low-middle bikes! Sad!

Sorry 'bout the poor english!
Cheers

you forgot the Andes Supercross, the first Hybrid (700c Wheels) did in series here in Brazil, it was a combination of shimano Altus A10 and Altus C10 which put it in the level of andes pro 10 :)

Back