cable discs... yes or no?

Avid BB7s with SD7 levers and 160mm rotors are the only ones I've tried and they work really well. I might try a 180mm rotor on the front but only out of curiosity not because I feel I need more braking power.

And BTW stinus that's a really cool bike ^^^ you've got there :cool:

I thought I would Chip in as I have BB5's I bought them really cheap front and rear with levers for £20 as I am tight.

Once setup right they are really good but I can see the BB7 being far better as the one thing i want is to adjust the pads from both sides but for 20 quid I can't complain.

One Plus side on the BB5 is they are very easy to strip and clean if needed
But I Will Go for BB7's or Hyro's next

I ended up buying a pair of BB7s from eBay - very cheap really at less than £70 a pair delivered, especially with the G3 rotors that sell for nearly that much on their own from some of the UK online stores.

I've only used the front one so far, replacing the V brake on my Marin when I changed the forks for some disk only ones. Using the original Shimano V brake lever so just needed a new cable.

Very impressed with their stopping power once they bedded in and am planning to make an adaptor to mount the rear one at some point.

yo-eddy":wndv7g84 said:
BB7's are pretty good (used 'm for years) and most likely the best cable discbrakes but to be honest my Magura MARTA's are way better.....

At three times the price, they should be!

suburbanreuben":2uwy7vqu said:
yo-eddy":2uwy7vqu said:
BB7's are pretty good (used 'm for years) and most likely the best cable discbrakes but to be honest my Magura MARTA's are way better.....

I used the BB7's with PAUL levers and had the Marta's at retail price so the differnce wasn't that big ;)
I loved my BB7's but just wanted to share the fact that the Marta's are in a different league.

yo-eddy":331yn3xx said:
suburbanreuben":331yn3xx said:
yo-eddy":331yn3xx said:

I used the BB7's with PAUL levers and had the Marta's at retail price so the differnce wasn't that big ;)
I loved my BB7's but just wanted to share the fact that the Marta's are in a different league.

Interesting... I'm a huge fan of magura stuff in general but for some reason don't get along with martas. Go figure!

hova":avtj6um2 said:
yo-eddy":avtj6um2 said:
suburbanreuben":avtj6um2 said:
yo-eddy":avtj6um2 said:

Interesting... I'm a huge fan of magura stuff in general but for some reason don't get along with martas. Go figure!
\

I'm using the 2011 version with normal levers/160mm discs and they're truly amazing when it comes modulation and stopping power.

davew":1j5ggue1 said:
Very impressed with their stopping power once they bedded in and am planning to make an adaptor to mount the rear one at some point.

What Frame do you have as the A2Z adaptor mount is great on large flat dropouts I have one mounted on a GT Arrowhead and it has not moved a mm picked mine up cheap on ebay.

But you have to have large flat dropouts or it will not work and if you want to remove the wheel the skewer has to be removed but I never founf it an issue.

p5310m01_700.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on that adaptor, I don't think it'll fit my frame as the dropouts have a pretty minimal flat area. It's a Marin Bear Valley, chromoly frame from the late 90s.

Could you post a pic of it fitted ?

Latest posts

Back