Early Dawes 'The Edge Team'. Anyone got any pics or info ???

Dawes Quest XT 1989

Chris":253dgn5i said:
Just checked the 89 catologue and there is no edge in it :roll:

the top bike of this year being the 531 framed quest.

Chris.

Hey Chris,

Any chance of uploading some pics from your 1989 brochure?! I can vividly remember drooling outside my local bike shop window at a Quest XT, early 90's, finished in black and pink I seem to remember or something similar, didn't they do a red and yellow version too? I then, really liked The Edge and Raw Nerve from 1990, need some photos !!

Cheers,

Prometheus":uhe0ipc0 said:
Are there no gurus out there with piles of magazines in every corner of the house who could just throw some possible model names in to the mix ??? perhaps I should take it down the dump then ;)

but seriously ... my next idea is to strip the frame back gently. Hopefully the guy who had it before me and did that awful paint job was so lazy that he didn't bother to prep the frame before he painted it, so i'm hoping there might be some clues if i'm carefull . Can't see any evidence of any decals under the paint but might be something else that helps. :?

The Search continues....... surely someone can help ???

Thanks.
Dave.

Hey Dave,

I know this post is over 2 years old, but I reckon that old frame is a 1990 Raw Nerve, identical to The Edge but finished in green, I really wanted a Raw Nerve back in the early 90's when I was about 13, never got one though, loved the design of the 1990 models, they went a bit downhill after that, hope you managed to save the frame!

Cheers,

thread resurrection post! :LOL:
i had a 1990 raw nerve and i can confirm that the OP's frame is NOT a 1990 raw nerve. I don't think it's a 1990 at all in fact, as they were all lugged. definately the edge and raw nerve were anyway. the stops on the top tube were straight in '90 as well rather than angled. i think its a later frame. I have the '90 catalogue somewhere, if i find it, i'll scan it. i also have some photos of my RN that i took to sell it, these will be easier to find!
FYI, the raw nerve colour was a mental green pearlescant finish and the decals were cut vinyl applied after paint ( i know as i removed mine when they got damaged! )

Holy Thread revival Batman :LOL:

I still have the frame, now hanging in my conservatory next to a Roberts white spider frame which will be built next :LOL:

It's interesting re-reading this thread as since I wrote it I now have several boxes of retro lovelyness bits, the Roberts frame, several forks and the very near completion Yo Eddy as well as a couple of retro road bikes and their own boxes of bits..... I can confirm this website is bad for your wealth :LOL:

Anyway....with regard to the Dawes..I am 100% certain that it's a 92' Edge Extra, as I wrote in an earlier post as it was complete with a full XTR M900 group with Mag20 forks and even the same bars and stem, and even the right green colour under the horrible oversprayed blue. Therefore there is no doubt in my mind that it's the 531 designer select tubed frame.

There is a catalogue uploaded showing it how it used to look once upon a time. I still have the M900 stuff that was on it which is destined for the Roberts when I get around to refinishing the frame.

The Dawes is a bit too big for me so will probably be for sale one of these days if I ever get around to sorting it out. I have officially become a retrobike hoarder :roll: :LOL:

kool! :LOL: 92 vintage makes sense, i knew they ditched the lugs at some pint. ive just found some pics of my old raw nerve, frame was lugged as i said but only the rear brake cable ran along the top tube. my memory aint what it was! :shock:
i do still miss that bike though!

original spec, save for the 1st generation front onza porc, steel bar ends and high-end aftermarket mud ;)
001-9.jpg

ooh.. another pic, same bike during a 2 day 170mile trip from hertfordshire to bath in '91, cross tyres, profile bars and unfeasibly large topring 'natch. :LOL: frame is clearer in this one.
004-7.jpg

looks like it would also be on the large size, it was an 18" but i dont remember it being this much like a victorian bedstead! :shock:

My former 1989 Escape. Took it with me to US, and was sold at the local bike shop as a trade in for a Cannondale.

6644190319_b5af3ca1b3_b.jpg

6644192581_5d41ce72e5_o.jpg

Prometheus":rrrwd666 said:
Thanks again for the info, keep us posted on yours as you recommision it, it looks great :cool:

Cheers.
Dave.

Hi.

My 1992 "Edge" and the "Edge eXTRa" are finished - other pics in my Album.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Hi folks. Been looking on Retrobike for a few months now and have just registered. I also have a Dawes MTB frame from the early 90s and am wondering if anyone can help me identify it.

I've had it for almost 20 years, after buying the frame and fork second hand in autumn 1993. For years it was my only bike, until i bought a new bike in about 1998. I carried on riding it occasionally, before stripping it and putting it in the shed.

The biggest problem i have in identification is that it was stolen and recovered before i bought it. Presumably it was either vandalised or spray painted as it had been stove enamelled magenta, so i've never known exactly what it is. All i had(may still have, somewhere) was the slip of paper from the cop shop to prove that no-one had come forward to claim it - hence it being up for sale, and the invoice from the enamelling place. Both of which said either Dawes, Edge or both.

I was always under the impression that it was an Edge, and made from 653. However, from reading this thread, it's possibly too heavy to be 653, at over 6lbs. That said, it's one of the bigger sizes, and i've had it powdercoated. Obviously it can't be any newer than a 93 model, but is closest to the green Raw Nerve with the filleted join between the top tube and seat tube. However, it has the Geo Max forks, and the RN in the pics doesn't seem to. Any ideas?

Thanks

Marge

Attachments

• 100_0894.JPG
    100_0894.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,486
  • 100_0895.JPG
    100_0895.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 1,486
Back