WIP - Dawes Galaxy (1972?)

zzpza

Retro Newbie
This was in a friends garage when he bought the house. Instead of throwing it away, I took it home. :)

After a good clean by zzpza, on Flickr

It's made from 531ST tubing, has a nice leather saddle and a Stronglight drillium crankset.

Stronglight Drillium Chainrings by zzpza, on Flickr

But, all the brightwork is heavily tarnished and the frame's rusting is several places. Thankfully it's all surface corrosion only.

More Rust by zzpza, on Flickr

So, I decided to give the frame a new coat of paint and rebuilt it. :)

Fist, I stripped the frame down.

Ready For Prep by zzpza, on Flickr

And took the crankset apart.

Need Cleaning by zzpza, on Flickr

The frame got a coat of Kurust and then acid etch primer.

Acid Etch Primer by zzpza, on Flickr

Before colour started to go back on.

1st Colour Coat by zzpza, on Flickr

I was going to go with flat bars and trigger shifters.

Reusable Parts + New Brakes and Headset by zzpza, on Flickr

Then I found an old set of Shimano 600 down tube shifters in the shed I had forgotten about. Shortly followed by a set of ally drop bars.

The saddle is a Wrights W3N. Any good? It seems pretty hard. I've never had a leather saddle before. I've since put some leather feed on it I use on the car seats.

Wrights W3N Saddle by zzpza, on Flickr

Fairly nice finish, I wanted to get the painting done as soon as possible as it was rapidly starting to get cold and wet - not good weather to be painting in.

2nd Coat by zzpza, on Flickr

I did a quick polish on the centre of the ally bars - just the bit that will show between the bar tape!

Polished Bars by zzpza, on Flickr

I did a bit of a 1200 grit 'polish' on the stem as it looked pretty bad. I'll do a proper polish at a later date.

Stem Cleaned by zzpza, on Flickr

This is after 2 coats of lacquer, a T-Cut and wax.

After Lacquer by zzpza, on Flickr

Fork and new headset fitted.

Fork Fitted by zzpza, on Flickr

Seat post, saddle, bottom bracket, shifters, bottle cage and stem fitted...

Saddle and Bottom Bracket by zzpza, on Flickr

Bars and levers (aero and cross top) fitted.

Progressing Nicely by zzpza, on Flickr

Getting ready to put the bar tape on.

Prep for Bar Tape by zzpza, on Flickr

Bar tape and brake cables fitted.

Bar Tape Done by zzpza, on Flickr

Just waiting for a rear mech, 8 speed cassette, chain and gear cables. :D

Nice work on the paint job. I think your Galaxy is a lot more recent than '72 though, going by the paint, decals and brakes. Mine is a '76 (I think) and has Weinmann centre-pulls. It also has a '70s brown and gold colour scheme that either makes you think of Shaft and Ford Torinos, or Coronation Street and Ford Cortinas, depending on your cultural references...

I'll get some pictures up at some point.

Thanks for the info, now you mention it, it does seem more modern than 1972. The reason I thought it was from then is because of this:

1972? by zzpza, on Flickr

Any idea what the 72 means? Do you have anything on your frame there?

I can't explain that although it might simply be a reference for the lug rather than the bike itself. I'm away from home at the moment or I'd pop out to the garage and have a look at mine.

You might try a Google of Flickr search for old Dawes catalogues to try to date your bike according to the original colour and decals. That's what I did and I found mine in a '76 catalogue somebody had put online.

Rich34":3ousa6v3 said:
You might try a Google of Flickr search for old Dawes catalogues to try to date your bike according to the original colour and decals. That's what I did and I found mine in a '76 catalogue somebody had put online.

Cunning idea, thanks :)

I had a W3N for a while and GOD it was hard !!! (not a euphemism) Heat and dubbin did little too soften the leather. I suspect it was oldish and little treated. Gorgeous to look at and it's NOT a Brooks :D

Back