Overbury's "The Riddler"

Merlin":28w2shu2 said:
Where did you get that matching headset?

Paul

Sorry if I missed the answer to that question earlier on.

:LOL: No worries.

I had seen one on in the fs ads long before I started the project so I knew of their existence.

I like this type as they need little / no adjustment once fitted.

I was simply lucky that a NOS one turned up in the fs ads again from a chap in Berlin. I already had a Dura Ace fitted but this (or Mavic) was my preference.

Thanks for the info. That question was more an expression of admiration for your whole project but I will be looking out for one of those headsets.

Paul.

Merlin":2hzyc3eu said:
Thanks for the info. That question was more an expression of admiration for your whole project but I will be looking out for one of those headsets.

Paul.

Cheers mate I take it as a big compliment from someone who has TWO lovely Alves!

As for the headset, I found a couple periodically on ebay France and Germany, think I paid about £30 posted for this NOS one. It has needle bearings too which seem nice and smooth :D

the_duke":1z5bfh0k said:
Merlin":1z5bfh0k said:

Paul.

Cheers mate I take it as a big compliment from someone who has TWO lovely Alves!

As for the headset, I found a couple periodically on ebay France and Germany, think I paid about £30 posted for this NOS one. It has needle bearings too which seem nice and smooth :D
Stronglight no longer make roller bearing headsets so replacement bearings are difficult to come by. I have found that the Miche 1" headsets seem to have roller bearings the same size. Both my Alves have Stronglight Delta headsets with roller bearings and, after 17 to 19 years, when I looked at them recently the lower bearing of each headset was pitted but the upper bearing was fine. So sacrificing one new Miche 1" headset, about £25, gave me two sets of bearings to replace each of the lower bearing sets on my Alves frames. Much cheaper and quicker than replacing with two new headsets. Last week I bought a Stronglight B10 headset, new, on ebay for 14.99. This is a plastic (very light) road headset which I am unlikely to use but it provided me with another pair of 1" Stronglight roller bearings.

so how are you finding riding it, now you have had it a while?

sinnerman":2qwhqzgw said:

Hey Carl. It rides great! The bike feels very light and responsive with real forgiveness in the rear.

One thing that did take some getting used to was the steering. I have never ridden anything with such directness! The slightest movement at the bars is all it takes to change direction.

I haven't ridden her for a few weeks unfortunately as I bought some 3dv Hope wheels and the rear needs truing quite badly. Also the front is snow flaked with a mis-matched black rim so I may swap this to a silver and get it laced "normally".

I could also use a middle ring in better condition and I think I will change the Ultegra shifters to good old xt thumbies. A bit more ergonomic. I will get some pics up when it is done.

I love it!

the_duke":28kmxkqv said:
sinnerman":28kmxkqv said:

Hey Carl. It rides great! The bike feels very light and responsive with real forgiveness in the rear.

One thing that did take some getting used to was the steering. I have never ridden anything with such directness! The slightest movement at the bars is all it takes to change direction.

I haven't ridden her for a few weeks unfortunately as I bought some 3dv Hope wheels and the rear needs truing quite badly. Also the front is snow flaked with a mis-matched black rim so I may swap this to a silver and get it laced "normally".

I could also use a middle ring in better condition and I think I will change the Ultegra shifters to good old xt thumbies. A bit more ergonomic. I will get some pics up when it is done.

I love it!

I must admit, i do prefer a straight blade fork myself, and try to use them on a build when i can, the are great on the steering, but sum shake my teeth out...lol.

I will look forward to seeing your wheels, had you thought of a radial built front wheel, it would look handsum on the riddler.. :cool:

I may have a nice set of Xt shifters somewhere if you would prefer them to your ultegras, let me know if you do, and i have a look for them.

glad your pleased with it, i would be....it looks sensational mate. :cool:

sinnerman":3pe1o6ge said:
I will look forward to seeing your wheels, had you thought of a radial built front wheel, it would look handsum on the riddler.. :cool:

Great minds and all that. I had yes. I had even considered building it myself being a simple pattern as I have a NOS lightweight Ritchey rim in silver waiting for something. (never done this before mind :LOL:)

The front is one of the skinny ultralight (or whatever they are called!) jobs and I agree that a radial pattern would look the nuts! I was concerned though that having already bedded in a cross pattern the spokes that are on there now may have marked up the hub flange, weakening it? Any experience changing the pattern at all?

I do know that Hope hubs and longevity dont go hand in hand :LOL:

the_duke":m8h130u0 said:
sinnerman":m8h130u0 said:

Great minds and all that. I had yes. I had even considered building it myself being a simple pattern as I have a NOS lightweight Ritchey rim in silver waiting for something. (never done this before mind :LOL:)

The front is one of the skinny ultralight (or whatever they are called!) jobs and I agree that a radial pattern would look the nuts! I was concerned though that having already bedded in a cross pattern the spokes that are on there now may have marked up the hub flange, weakening it? Any experience changing the pattern at all?

I do know that Hope hubs and longevity dont go hand in hand :LOL:

I wouldnt think changing the pattern will be any problem at all, i have done several, and they are all fine, if the hub is very very tired though perhaps having a spare to hand would be a good idea, have a proper look when you"ve stripped the wheel and can see the flange when the spokes are removed.?

Ive always been quite lucky with hope hubs... :? so far touch wood... :D

Back