the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

This seems like the ideal place to ask for advice on committing a double retrobike crime. Not only am I thinking of going down the drop bars route but also fudging it to a 29er at the same time. I've got the tape measure out and I've got plenty of room before the chainstay and seatstay bridges to get 700c wheels and fatish tyres in and planning on getting one of the mavic caliper adjuster brackets that will move the brakes up to the right height. All that seems straight forward enough but I'm not sure what to do about the forks. Currently got Project 2s with a fairly low a-c (40cm-ish) was thinking of swapping them out for something like the eXotic alu 29er fork with a 46.5cm a-c as that will lift the front end up nicely for the drop bars. How is that likely to affect the handling or will it not really be noticeable? Are there any other forks I should be looking at?

Arse. So how much can I realisitically higher the front end by before it gets odd? Was trying to avoid having to have a massive rise stem. I guess something like the Planet X Kaffenback fork is a better idea. Or probably wiser to wait for a secondhand Kaffenback or cyclo cross frame to crop up.

DD1.jpg

Very nice indeed. I'm about to do something very similar to a very beaten up Privateer. Got to get the seatpost out first though. I'm hoping the resulting bike will be so odd-looking I'll be able to chain it up at a station overnight and it will still be there in the morning.

just found this thread, didn't know so many people liked drops on mtb's! i have been thinking about it for the past few months

Just spotted this thread.

Ok not, fully dropped, (One One bars) but I love these, really aggressive riding position, great for climbing but a wee bit scary on steep downhills.

396326_10150524338888234_527263233_8885899_1803487931_n.jpg

Yeah, funny that - I saw the RockCombo in the '89 Specialized catalogue that's just been added to the archive and it jogged the memory banks. I'm about to pick up a '91 Scott Boulder that is cheap, original and complete but might be slightly on the large side for proper off-road use so I'm contemplating putting drops and skinny tyres on it and using it for green laning or the equivalent. This thread is a good mixture of the sublime :cool: and the ridiculous :facepalm: , but you can't argue with the cred of the original early '80s crowd like Potts and Cunningham. Mind you, it's difficult to argue with the statistics when 99.9% of mountain bikers don't use drops... Vive la difference.

Just been reading through this thread and have some questions.

I had no intentions of building a drop barred mtb but may have just found myself in the situation where it just makes sense, however...

The frame I have is designed for V brakes, so what are my options regarding sti's for drop bars? Any advice greatfully received.

I'm ideally running either 1x9 or 2x9 on the gearing too

Don't think there is a solution except Tektro Linear pull brake levers and old style CX bar end shifters. I have heard Campagnolo have made a V-brake, but I don't know if they work with their brifters.

Back