Headset remover!!

thejackal

Retro Guru
Hi, does anybody have a headset cup removal tool that they want to sell?

And does anybody else want to buy one??

I was thinking of buying a new or used one, using it the once, & selling it on........

Many thanks

Don't you have a hammer and a screwdriver?

unless it's either a very very special headset and/or frame, I've never bothered with the real thing!

Hi Foz

The headset certainly isn't anything special. The frame isn't either, although I don't want to damage the frame. It did cross my mind to do a DIY job.

A headset remover is quite cheap (about £11.00) but begrudge buying yet another tool that will only ever get used once. The garage & shed are full of them!!!

Thanks

well in that case I'd just do a DIY job... spray plenty of oil in there first (GT85, WD40, whatever) and leave it to soak in. Then a large screwdriver, reasonable size hammer, and light taps all round the cup should bring it out easy enough. Just keep working your way round and round the cup. If the frame is steel then there's little chance of damage, and the cup should be OK too!

Getting the crown race off the fork is a bit harder, but the same principal applies. helps if you've got a large bench vice for that one!

I was in the same situation myself and sorted it out very easily. All you need to do is get a short length of piping any metal will do, even copper as you wont need it again. Just make sure it is long enough to give you a couple of inches above the headtube to hit it with a hammer.

Take the tube and make a cut down the tubing with a hack saw about an inch long and do the same again so that you have four equal sections. Bend out each section so it is wider than the head tube.

You wil be able to use this to remove the head set. I made mine from an old metal sweeping brush handle.

It knocked out the cup with two good taps from the hammer each. It's stil very usable.

If the headset/frame is made of steel I use the big screwdriver, club hammer method.
Anything more delicate, i.e. Aluminium/Carbon goes to the LBS.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

I used a wodden mallet and piece of old timber on my headet. Came out nice and easy and didn't damage anything (apart from the wood). :)

Back