Show us what you did today, thread

mikee":w1qc6xqc said:
"off road tourer"

please define

Comfy load carrier, bit of a mongrel, probably a mtb with moderate tyres and racks mibee even mudgaurds.

mikee":3a1uwk0x said:
"off road tourer"

please define

Carefully chosen MTB, strength over lightness, mounts for guards and rack, simple lay out, low maintenance, stable when carrying a load, reliable. :?

I'm just putting a rack and semi-slicks on my mongoose IBOC, 50mm travel forks, suspension seatpost: hey presto, off-road tourer! That won't match others' definitions but it'll do for me. Got a 400+ mile adventure planned for the first week of November.

And rob, the rack's only got to cope with the tent and maybe one pannier bag.

An off road tourer is just a tourer you ride off road its not a new sub genre :roll:

I've ridden a Dawes Galaxy around the Cairngorms off road and I've toured a mtb. Many 80's and 90's mtb's have rack mounts in fact my new On-One 456 has rack mounts.

However some makers have tried to raise the stakes with 26" wheeled touring bikes such as Thorn Sherpa's/XTC's/Nomads, Dawes Sardar, Oribit Romany. Roberts and dave yates have also got similar bikes and there was someone called Caribou. Often these bikes have good tyre clearance, long wheelbases, multiple brazeons such as up to 5 bottle cage mounting points etc. In the past Giant and Scott really raised the stakes with URT full sus framed tourers where the specially made racks attached to the suspended portion of the frame, really smart and at the time expensive.

Knock yourself out Mikee but all your really doing is putting a rack on an mtb ;)

mikee":w50l1xcs said:
"off road tourer"

please define

In my case it is a Xizang with a quids worth of pannier rack on the back. Any bike with rack mounts will do and as in my case p-clips can be used if you don't have rack mounts.

velomaniac":36wv96rz said:
An off road tourer is just a tourer you ride off road its not a new sub genre :roll:

I've ridden a Dawes Galaxy around the Cairngorms off road

Oooww yes spend all your time wondering if the next BANG! will be the one that breaks the frame, and using all your concentration counteracting the frame bending and twisting, sounds like fun :?

Back