Australian Events and Rides - Melbourne, VIC

Will be at Lysty tomorrow round about 10am bright and early probably having a brew at Trailmix, all welcome!

ok chaps, any ideas for a mission in the next few weeks? I've put up a few ideas in the form of Wombat, Lake Mountain, Buxton etc but does anyone fancy going somewhere new? There is also Forrest, Castlemaine and heaps of other places worth checking out.

I've banned myself from rides until I'm more up to it, but ther offer still stands to cook the BBQ while you guys ride on the 35Th anniversary ride, if it's still a go!

well all signs are pointing to a run upto Lake Mountain near Buxton either next week or the week after. It would be great if we could get a good turn out, my comms with the ranger up there reckons the trails are coming up nicely and the area looks fab.

300380_226532794073354_121390137920954_610907_525640326_n.jpg

Video and map

http://lakemountainresort.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/MAP-Feb-10-2011.pdf

http://youtu.be/hVNKN_qFEUA

http://lakemountainresort.com.au/

Has good facilities too so we can get a pre/post ride cuppa and cake!

On a random note...

Does anyone have a spare ladies saddle that they can part with for a reasonable price? After spending time modifying one of the bikes for my better half, she took it for a first ridetaking today... I know have complaints about the saddle that include the words 'cuts' and 'like a razor'. I don't really want to spend a lot buying a new one so if anyone has one that I could relieve them of that'd be great

Can anyone help??

Soooo I took advantage of the break in the rain we have had lately and took a lazy Saturday arvo bimble at Lysterfield today on the modern bastard.

Compared to last time I took it out it was a revelation.

Reasons:

1. New tires, Holy shit! like night and day. I replaced the Maxxis Crossmarks with Schwalbe Racing Ralphs and the difference is staggering. Where as before it felt like I was towing a log, these bad boys practically fly along. Cornering and climbing were much improved too. Where as last time i took it out i felt like crying and cursing the cyclogods, today was like I was riding a totally different bike.

2. New shorter stem. The original owner put a long 3T ARG stem on, very nice but way too long. Steering was slow to react and climbing felt like i was using double the energy. Replaced with a Truvativ Boxxer shorty 60mm and wow, steering is Lighting McQueen, manuals are easy to perform and the bike feels a lot livelier through the berms and twisties.

3. Rebuild. Allegedly the dude I bought this bike off was a trained bike mechanic. Now if this is the standard of bike mechanics, then thank **** i do my own work. Last time I took the bike out I hated it, the stem and rear hub came loose. The chain felt like it was stapled together and twice as long as it should be and dry as a nun's nasty. Pedalling felt like a bag of marbles for a rear mech. Stripping the rear hub down (Deore XT for those playing at home) the races were bare with practically zero grease in them! So new bearings were thrown in along with new bearing grease and the cones nipped up to spec. Also added a new chain (Wipperman Connex, my chain of choice on all my bikes) and new cables (XTR).

I recently picked up a bargain of some carbon fibre Sram X0 shifters to replace the shyte X9 twist grips that were on it and also replaced the frankly hilarious "ergo" grips for some Lizard Skinz red white and blue Peatys!

I now love this bike!

I have some new brakes coming this week to replace the weedy Avid Juicy's, some decent sized Ashima rotors and Ashima PCB calipers and levers.

I reckon I'll fit a Hammerschmidt crank in the near future too.

Some pics from today

6291014002_4c41e86676_b.jpg

6291013930_3ea79411f3_b.jpg

6290494143_a2ddd4e8ef_b.jpg

6291013720_ae46427fef_b.jpg

6290493843_35b1dfb35a_b.jpg

Nice post & pics mate, good to see you got the KHS riding well, it looks like a very sweet bike. I was using a set of Maxxis Crossmarks for a while thinking they would make a good allrounder but they always seemed a bit naff and compromised...
Anyways lets try and organise a ride in the next few weeks, I was thinking about Sunday 13th if that works for everyone? Lake mountain looks awesome providing it's doable with a full 63mm of front suspension... Hope we get some dry weather in the next few weeks...

Cheers Si, yep the crossmarks should be called offthemarks, hopeless in our conditions, probably perfect for slickrock and hardpacked trails but show them any sand or mud and you may as well be riding a Grifter off road!

How did the move go?

As for a meetup I am easy and will go with the flow, Lake Mountain does look good, basically for something different judging by the videos I have seen our steeds will do fine, its not like we are racing round there are we!

Pencil in the 13th then, hopefully the weather will be kind to us. If its anything like yesterday it will be great, nice breeze, not too hot, goldilocks weather!

Cool, pass stamped for the 13th... Lake Mountain single track looks great, just checked out a couple of vids on YouTube.

The move went well cheers, we are now in proper suburbia. Luckily right next to a bike track so I can still commute to work, unluckily it's a 40K round trip and i'm riding an SS 96 GT Talera! I have to admit the single speed thing is a bit of a buzz providing I don't have to ride home into a headwind. The $30 Op Shop GT scrubbed up a treat, if you get board of your Schwalbe Racing Ralphs I can sort you out with a mint set of Tioga Psychos!

Back