Glue or Tape?

lelobysfoot

Retro Guru
I got some Velox Jantex tub-tape. Not sure if its up to the more modern tubs but willing to give it a try.
Anybody had any success with this stuff on more modern tubulars? - they seem to have a more prominent stitch ridge than the older flatter style like Clements or Wolber. The Vittoria Corsas are particularly 'ridgey'.

Should I just stick with good old glue?

Stop me if I've asked this question before but I still haven't found anybody that still uses this stuff.

Cheers.

ive always used tub tape instead of glue as i seem to get messy with glue :LOL:

Ive heard of people having tyres "roll off" with tape but i run my road tyres at about 120 with no problems.

Never used glue, always tub tape for my time trialing and track racing. Never suffered any roll off problems.

tubs

Nice one. Thanks for the info.
Tubs of old used to be very flat a the seam. Well, the ones I used were anyway. Now they seem to have a pronounced ridge.
Anyway, subject closed. I've used some of the tape to stick a mirror up on a tile wall 10 years ago and it is still there. Its probably going to hold my vittoria paves on ok.
Cheers folks.

i manage i very large Shop in the Boston area, mand we did a lot of research on this subject. We looked at a lot of tests, and w/ out a doubt glue is stronger, at first as in the first year its about 10% stronger. However if you are not in the habit of re gluing your tires every year, it can be almost a 25% stronger bond w/ glue. Just something to think about. I hate gluesing it makes a mess and the whole stretching, gluing, waiting, gluing, waiting, and finally mounting of the tire. It sucks but i've seen the Beloki footage enough to the extra time.

I'm using glue, having just got back into using Tubs - just because the bikes deserve to have the best.

Anyway - the question I have is does anyone know a good way of getting really old shellac / glue of a rim. As I managed to pick up some lovely track wheels but the rims have a really hard layer of old Shellac / glue on them that needs removing before I can put some new tubs on.

Cheers nige

tubs

Hi, I have used acetone succefully in the past. Get the good old neat stuff from the chemist cos nail varnish remover seems to have lanolin or other greasy, smelly stuff in it.
It doesnt destroy carbon rims either.
Top tip.

Re: tubs

lelobysfoot":3vf2guxy said:
Hi, I have used acetone succefully in the past. Get the good old neat stuff from the chemist cos nail varnish remover seems to have lanolin or other greasy, smelly stuff in it.
It doesnt destroy carbon rims either.
Top tip.

Yup this definitly works the best!

Back