1994 / 96 Parkpre Pro Elite Ti - Retro-modern Winter Hack

Mmmmh. Got the below email advert from on-one the other day.

I concluded looking at it that "Winter Hack" just doesn't cut the cool grade anymore.

I have therefore decided to call my bike "Smutty Aerospace Grade Metal ABBA Orgy".

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 3,064
...and speaking of disks.

Just finished the disk tab jig.

(I hear distant sounds of some RBers preparing the gallows at this very moment).

Anyhow, the jig is made out of an old headset / multi-tool spanner. I know it doesn't look much, but it was an utter sod to make; the steel was so hard I've damaged 4 drill bits and blunted a hacksaw blade to buggery. Luckily I've got a couple of new hacksaw blades spare and a nice new set of quality files from Bahco to start work on the disk tab "hand machining".

Attachments

• Jig.JPG
    Jig.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 3,059
Woz":1gbd8tc1 said:
Ahhh...I see from your signature you are a Parkpre fan ;-)
Huge fan!

A Elite Ti with disk brakes. That should be alot of fun!
Can't wait to see more.

Forks

BP Stealth AN6 Aluminium 400mm a-c, V-Brake & Disk. Black Anodised. 644 grams including star-nut.

Just wide enough for the tyres I will be using. Already proven in action on a different build from some time ago; so nothing new to me.

Headset

Cane Creek S2. Stackheight is 26.5mm, 105 grams excluding star-nut.

Again, used these before. A nice classic looking headset, however I've had issues with water proofings and bearings going rusty, so it is going to be tweaked....more on that later.

Attachments

• IMG_0339.JPG
    IMG_0339.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 2,985
Disk tab finished, cable guide off and frame marked up ready for a chap who is rather usefull with a bunsen burner.

Attachments

• IMG_0311.JPG
    IMG_0311.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 2,926
  • IMG_0321.JPG
    IMG_0321.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 2,926
Just found this thread, and I'm looking forward to seeing the final build! I'm thinking of doing a retro/modern build on my pro elite - basically everything modern except the frame. Anyone know what's the max suspension fork travel that can be used on a pro elite without screwing up the handling?

BTW, if anyone needs an original pro elite cable guide noodle, then I might be persuaded to part with mine... I've been saving it just in case, but I can't imagine ever using anything but V's.

Can't wait to see how this build turns out!

I will be taking it to the welder soon. While it's at the welders I will be posting pictures and weights of the parts selection. Virtually all parts have arrived so the build should go fairly quick.

foz":24wirjs5 said:
Just found this thread, and I'm looking forward to seeing the final build! I'm thinking of doing a retro/modern build on my pro elite - basically everything modern except the frame. Anyone know what's the max suspension fork travel that can be used on a pro elite without screwing up the handling?

They were made for 60mm - mine's fine with 70mm but it will depend on all sorts of things.... like how much sag your fork is meant to run with etc....

Which fork do you want to use?

And my Pro-Elite could always use a Noodle if I decide to put cantis on it instead of Vs.

Thanks for the info! I have 50mm judy XCs on it now, which aren't in bad condition but if I go with a more modern build then I'd probably replace them - I gather it's a better option just to replace them than to try and find new bushings, springs, dampers, etc which can get costly from what I've read. I don't have any particular fork in mind, it was more just a general question, so that I know what I should be looking for...

Andy

I'm with dbmtb. Although I've never tried suspension with the Parkpre, when fiddling around with other builds I've always found the best handling to be bang on with what the original catalogue said. It seems the Pro Elite is good for anything from 50mm to 63mm. You could try getting a modern 80mm SID and reducing travel it by adding a 15mm travel spacer, then making up with a touch more sag.

What I can say, a 400mm a-c rigid is pretty darn spot on!

Back