cable discs... yes or no?

thats the one problem with bb7's they hold their price really well, and are so good no one ever wants to sell em second hand. found a place on ebay doing em for £40 each inc rotors, bout the best price i've found

jamabikes":1a5gdbpm said:
thats the one problem with bb7's they hold their price really well, and are so good no one ever wants to sell em second hand. found a place on ebay doing em for £40 each inc rotors, bout the best price i've found

I've bought two sets now from the far east as you can get front and rears for about 60 quid delivered! (and haven't been stung for VAT & duty either occaision).....

I have found a set of BB5's for 60quid, is that a reasonable price and what is the difference between 5's and 7's?

Despite the difference in price, I would avoid buying BB5s as the difference is like night and day - BB7s provide adjustment from both sides of the caliper body, while BB5s only provide adjustment on one side. They don't feel as good, either. One of my bikes came with them, and while they do the trick, they don't really compare. The return rate on the springs is not as good, either. Then again, I'm being a totally retentive bastard about it, as BB5s are probably actually better than pretty much every other mechanical disc brake out there! :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Reluctant":17w4h8d3 said:
It's pretty much all been said already. BB7s are about the best cable op brake out there, Hayes MX is also pretty good when set up with a nice Shimano or Avid lever. Other than that, I'd rather have V brakes than a cable disc. Good hydraulics are a different kettle of newts though.............

mmm, debatable! BB7s are more comparable to good hydros thab to V brakes.
V brakes aren't in the same league! :p

once they have 100-200mile they bite like mad, great stopping power.

i had new 160mm BB7s on one bike and new 9'' hydraulic avids on another bike, braking power was better on the bike fitted with BB7s.......no idea how to explain that one.

pad set up is easy, turn dial in or out on each side of caliper, and you rarely have to touch them.

my last snow bike had them too, as does my current one, and my next bike thats ordered also has them fitted.......yep, i like these brakes.

BB7's are pretty good (used 'm for years) and most likely the best cable discbrakes but to be honest my Magura MARTA's are way better.....

i had an 203mm BB7(old grey) on my bilenky cargo bike for two years and is was really horrible, all ways rubbing on the pads - i now use a 160mm (new black) its way way better and i don't have the adjustments problems any more, i think the kind of redesigned the caliber.

a lot of the problems came from the really long cable, and that the large roter easily bended
R1048841.JPG

i now have the 203mm on my salsa its doing a better job here whit the shorter cable..
SalsaR.jpg

here is a little webpage about the bb7
http://howtosetuptheavidbb7.weebly.com/index.html

Latest posts

Back