Coolwall October 2011 - Entry Level Groupsets

• Cool

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
200gs

Rob Atkin":zc7hnv5y said:
I don't think 200/100/70GS is cool on its own.

(BTW can anyone show any examples of 70GS? It must be rarer than XTR - never seen it!!)

HOWEVER someone using 200GS who clearly knows how to ride a bike well beating someone with XTR and thinks they know IS cool. Therefore low end groupsets can be cool, but only by association. Maybe.. :?

Is there anyone who has weighed a 70/100/200GS crankset and can tell us EXACTLY how much they weigh? Would be interesting!

right. now steady! not for sale. ;) 200GS

only last week did i install a 100GS crank to the bolinas so cant be bothered to remove, however, in-hand the weight is identical to 200GS.

i went for 100GS as i didn't want to be seen with delusions of grandeur.

Attachments

• Photo-0072_e1.jpg
    Photo-0072_e1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,649
Re: 200gs

marc two tone":2inwh737 said:
Rob Atkin":2inwh737 said:
I don't think 200/100/70GS is cool on its own.

(BTW can anyone show any examples of 70GS? It must be rarer than XTR - never seen it!!)

HOWEVER someone using 200GS who clearly knows how to ride a bike well beating someone with XTR and thinks they know IS cool. Therefore low end groupsets can be cool, but only by association. Maybe.. :?

Is there anyone who has weighed a 70/100/200GS crankset and can tell us EXACTLY how much they weigh? Would be interesting!

right. now steady! not for sale. ;) 200GS

only last week did i install a 100GS crank to the bolinas so cant be bothered to remove, however, in-hand the weight is identical to 200GS.

i went for 100GS as i didn't want to be seen with delusions of grandeur.

I own a frame that weighs the same as that. Though I did tear it over tightening a bottle cage bolt. I doubt you could damage 200GS with an allen key.

Ahoy there retro-snobs! We do set ourselves high standards don't we?
In my day we wouldn't have thought of 100 or 200GS as entry level, that was reserved for the likes of Tourney [With its black slug shaped thumbies] and yes the only bikes me and my mates could afford came with that sort of stuff. 200GS was pretty aspirational and I can also say at my school no one would have got battered for having a bike with 200GS, hardly anyone knew or cared about different groupsets. There were much more important victimisation issues to consider; like trainers!
The truth is if you can ride a bike then you can ride a bike, if it weighed a ton then you just had to pedal harder. There are very few bike components that I find objectionable and low end stuff isn't one of them.
As an objective test I've looked round the Rich Aitch man-cave at the front changers that are on my bikes and then grabbed some as yet unfitted changers from my personal stores dep't. On my desk in front of me now I have: a GS200, a Sachs-Huret [OE Raleigh Lizard equipment, equiv. to Shimano Tourney], an unknown M.A.V.I.C, a Campag Record O.R, as well as an unknown Gipiemme and a Ofmega Master both from road bikes. In the stables at Rich Aitch Castle are bikes with Shimano 400LX, STX and Deore LX.
There are only three that are in any way dis-assembleable- the M.A.V.I.C, the Record and the... 200GS which has a replaceable cage/parallelagram structure. The rest are rivetted together and that includes the Exage 400LX, the Deore and a dishonorable mention for the STX, which doesn't even have printing it just has cheapo stickers that you wouldn't even put on an apple!
200GS stuff is better than people care to remember, it works reliably- my most abused bike is full 200GS, it was never at the bottom of the groupset heap and it has little charms like the giant 7 on the rapidfire casing which is in exactly the same typeface as the bootlid writing on the Triumph TR7 and that alone makes it cool in my book! ;)

Rich Aitch":2aqyex6j said:
In my day we wouldn't have thought of 100 or 200GS as entry level, that was reserved for the likes of Tourney [With its black slug shaped thumbies] and yes the only bikes me and my mates could afford came with that sort of stuff. 200GS was pretty aspirational and I can also say at my school no one would have got battered for having a bike with 200GS, hardly anyone knew or cared about different groupsets. There were much more important victimisation issues to consider; like trainers!
Agreed with that - when I was at school hardly anybody had a clue about bikes - and that's with loads of kids cycling to school.

So long as you weren't commuting to school on some small wheeled shopping bike, the look-down-there-noses-and-point-and-laugh crowd had much more important fish to fry - as you say, things like trainers, clothes, haircut, spotty complexions...

Even a few years later, most of the people I knew who went mountain biking weren't that sniffy - so long as the bike was half decent, it was more about how fast you could pedal the damn thing, than what was on it.

I can honestly say in decades of cycling, and in times gone by, cycling with others, the only time that groupsets or parts has been a factor for particular interest, discussion or even ridicule, is on the internet, in discussion forums...

Now however you paint it, and whatever your perspective on things now there's a certain irony in that.

Neill":2rt3z41g said:
I can honestly say in decades of cycling, and in times gone by, cycling with others, the only time that groupsets or parts has been a factor for particular interest, discussion or even ridicule, is on the internet, in discussion forums...

That is sooo true...... :oops:

Sorry about that! ;) :LOL:

this is a difficult one.

on one hand, low-end or entry level components will never be good compared with spending a few quid extra on lower-mid range kit. as such, they would never be cool at the time of release or later in life. can you imagine people wanting to ride tourney or even early alivio groupsets in 15 years time?

BUT

on a retro forum, taking a low-end early frameset & choosing to use entry level bits rather than opting for better components to give a project a true entry level factory spec takes a certain amount of dedication.

To actually build and then ride a bike built with low end kit, on a low end frame for the sheer enjoyment of the lack of precision & finesse is, in my opinion, cool!

jax13":1kgbolz1 said:
this is a difficult one.

on one hand, low-end or entry level components will never be good compared with spending a few quid extra on lower-mid range kit. as such, they would never be cool at the time of release or later in life. can you imagine people wanting to ride tourney or even early alivio groupsets in 15 years time?

BUT

on a retro forum, taking a low-end early frameset & choosing to use entry level bits rather than opting for better components to give a project a true entry level factory spec takes a certain amount of dedication.

To actually build and then ride a bike built with low end kit, on a low end frame for the sheer enjoyment of the lack of precision & finesse is, in my opinion, cool!

+1

However, reminiscing... no doubt we all started with lower end groupsets, I know I did... but never thought of them as cool. The older boys in the sport/elite categories who had XT / XTR...now they were cool.

Back