European pedals and seats?

FST4RD

Senior Retro Guru
I have a question about European bikes/choices.
Might be something that you guys do over there...

How come there are not that many of you that run SPD's? I see all these magnificant builds kinda ruined by these massive DH style flat pedals. I guess you just don't see that sort of thing over here...

Also a lot of you's run around with the seat tilted forward? Is there a reason for this or just personal comfort?

Here is an example: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146840
Sorry Fudd for using yours as an example, infact I love your bike, quite a lot actually and always wanted a square tubed Pace!

Don't be offended... I'm just curious. Hell I'm one of the first people to say not to listen to anyone else about your bike build, it's you that has to ride it and enjoy it at the end of the day, not anyone else.

I havent tried spds's before and im more than happy with flats.

Theyre often cheap and cheerful but can sometimes be much nicer. If it aint broke dont fix it.
I actually ride with my saddle tilted slightly backwards (easier for wheelies and sliding off the back to get weight rear ward).

I'm completely the opposite! I have always ridden SPD's, DH, XC Freeride, everything :LOL:

Yeah I tend to have my seat dead flat or slightly backwards, your right about the wheelie thing! :D

I, too, am of the "saddle tilted forward" school... does it look funny? Personally, I don't think so - unless it's looking waaaay south. For instance, I don't think Fudd's saddle looks particularly low at all.

The reason I do it? Simple - it's just a lot, lot, lot more comfortable for me. My junk feels better after a long ride! :cool:

As for SPDs / platforms... I use both. If it's a casual bike a ride, I'd probably use platforms - couldn't be ar$ed to wear specific shoes and clip/in, clip/out all the time. If it's for more intense riding or a race, I'd probably use SPDs for the extra security and the psychological boost/benefit.

You know what, though? Frankly, I think I prefer the "regular pedals with toe-clips" that we used to rock back in the day over everything!

;)

Flats for anything except 'expeditions', then toe clips. I wear walking boots for most of my time, so nice big flats are the best solution.

Thanks for linking Fudd's Pace, that is a beautiful bike!

:)

highlandsflyer":1w3fv8e6 said:
Flats for anything except 'expeditions', then toe clips. I wear walking boots for most of my time, so nice big flats are the best solution.

Thanks for linking Fudd's Pace, that is a beautiful bike!

Is a gorgeous bike :D

Now days however you can get walking/tramping/hiking shoes that look and feel like SPD shoes...

Normally I just wear my SPD shoes and put my shoes in my camelback, either that or just wear my SPD shoes. I wear Specialized shoes, always have and they are super comfortable.

FST4RD":2pbi773j said:
Now days however you can get walking/tramping/hiking shoes that look and feel like SPD shoes...

For a long time yup, but the way I ride is not SPD compatible 80% of the time. Just the way it is.

Latest posts

Back