saracen kili info please

bhill22

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
early 90's was the kili sold in two versions? normal bb and an e-stay?
is there any significance with the s stamped in the end of the top tube behind the seat ?

oops can mods move to >97 please

E Stay veriosn until 1993. 1994 was non e-stay (like the one in my signature).

Are you after one or do you have one? :D

Estay frames i believe were manufactured in 1991 and 1992 with some 92 frame being sold as specials in 93. Can't remember if they did estays in 1990 :?

1992 Saracen catalogue

1991 Saracen.

The S stamp was synonymous with all the saracens with the pierced top tube design throughout the 90s.. I think :?

Edit to add: there is also a huge thread on Saracen here

Yes I did buy one, seems original to my eye, and although it has suffered with being left outside, components appear to be sound, worse is frame.

Tis a kili pro elite?

Objective is to get it fit for a retro ride

Attachments

• DSCF1620.JPG
    DSCF1620.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,479
I would think that one is a little newer. The top tub cable route and the ahead style stem (if original) point to it being a bit later. I have a fillet brazed Kili from the 80s that doesn't have the pierced seat tube and a Comp from 90/91 that does but the cable route is different, the rear brake is inside the top tube, the gears go under the BB.

That doesnt have the ritchey dropouts, which I think came in on 1995 models, so I believe yours is a 1994, the same year as mine in my signature, but a different model. Stand to be corrected by those more knowledgeable than me!

It has some nice parts if you can salvage them - ie those Ritchey cranks are very nice. :cool:

i took it as being a 93, but i am no expert.
i have since acquired although not arrived yet a traverse frame with allegedly mint nos paint which I might transfer all the components to, i think the frame above might be a touch on the large side!
also overhaul of forks (if needed) will be expensive and would prefer the rigid fork which the traverse has
running gear is dx with quite a few ritchey stamped bits

DX is a great groupset. If you search on here there are a few nice traverse's as well in the Readewers Bikes <1997 to compare to. Frame will be about half a pound heavier, and pretty identical otherwise.

Is that frame a 19"?

Latest posts

Back