cable discs... yes or no?

Avid BB7s are on many of my bikes - they are, simply put, AWESOME. Anyone who says otherwise, frankly, doesn't have them set up correctly. I'm sorry, but they are SO good that whether or not they are good is really not a matter of discussion. :LOL:

Check out this thread, we've discussed it quite recently:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Hope it helps you make your decision!

hova":1nbpmm3c said:
Avid BB7s are on many of my bikes - they are, simply put, AWESOME. Anyone who says otherwise, frankly, doesn't have them set up correctly. I'm sorry, but they are SO good that whether or not they are good is really not a matter of discussion. :LOL:

Check out this thread, we've discussed it quite recently:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Hope it helps you make your decision!

Seconded! :D

Dr S":1zdyyv5r said:
I have only tried cable operated discs once before. They were on Saltyman's Jones Spaceframe and were absolutely superb. I real revelation. Sorry I can't remember what they were but I'm sure he will know.

avid BB7 ;)

i had my doubts when i first saw them, but when i first used them.......wow, very impressed.

running them on my fat bikes at the minute, they stop my 17st fine and thats with a 41lb bike too :cool:

bb7's with sd7 levers and goodridge cables are a lovely set up. the avid pads do take quite a while to bed in though.

jamabikes":2t645152 said:
bb7's with sd7 levers and goodridge cables are a lovely set up. the avid pads do take quite a while to bed in though.

i think this must be a trait of avid pads in general - i've got some on my arch rivals and they are only just (after about 70 miles) starting to bite with any kind of venom!

I have no issues with running avid parts, and to be honest I would probably go for avid over shimano from personal preference BUT I already have a 100% shimano free bike so was planning for this one to be 100% shimano for the sake of balancing things out! (it might seem daft not to use the best available but i have a desire to run as close to a complete group as i can on this one, at least for its first incarnation, if only for aesthetics!)

It's pretty much all been said already. BB7s are about the best cable op brake out there, Hayes MX is also pretty good when set up with a nice Shimano or Avid lever. Other than that, I'd rather have V brakes than a cable disc. Good hydraulics are a different kettle of newts though.............

This has been a very useful thread in helping me with the build of my 2004 TAOS. I was going to have hydraulic discs, but now i'm looking out for a reasonably priced set of BB7's or 5's.

Thanks for all the good advice that has been shared around, is there anything else i need to look out for?

Cheers

Back