pace rc100 finally finished.

videojetman

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
seeing as i have just took the plunge and bought myself a new project, a pace rc100.
i need some advice. the seller says it will need some mounts for the magura brakes, does anyone know if these are suitable ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 97.c0.m619
also can you still buy the front mech for an rc 100 ?
and does anyone know the reference for the paint, the frame is grey and the stem, fork legs and cranks are yellow.
i will need a good painter recommended.
any advice will be gratefully received, and i am looking forward to the challenge of my first truly retro build. i go and pick the bike up on wednesday. i will post pics up then, and i will start a build thread.
until then. i will have to be patient.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Not sure on the mounts as I'm on Iphone and the pics are too small.

Yellow depends on which month it was built. Some were straight flouro yellow, some were yellow with a red pearl laquer, some were just yellow.

Silver depends on who mixed the paint. The common perceived wisdom is that it is a late 80's Porsche colour called Zermatt Silver but I found it to be miles off. I mix the colour from scratch by eye as no two RC100s I've done have been the same.

For the front mech, again we need to know the frame number. The first bikes had a stainless band mount and later bikes had a dirct frame mount. To make things harder there were exceptions to this rule depending on what was kicking around at the time. Both mechs can be found on here or on eBay. Original groupsets were either Suntour XC Pro or Shimano XT with a few running Campag and some with a mixture again depending on what was available.

Not an easy bike to restore. Real wheel needs dishing specificly and the crank bearings are no longer available which requires the spindle to be machined as does the headset.

Good luck.

Looking at the listing I think you will also have the problem with the rear brake hose guides on the top tube, these were very brittle and looked to be all broken in the photos

Hopefully the BB bearings shouldn't be too bad, don't forget the Allen bolt that holds the Bullseye crank arm is Imperial

Si is right on the colours :D

Magura Mounts should work, or at least they will be closest thing to the originals now anyway

Always happy to give pointers on RC100's drop me a PM if you get really stuck..

..wondered where that would end up, bidded a little but it soon got too rich ;)

I hope you realise videojetman is now ashen faced, struck down with worry about the mammoth task ahead of him..... ;-)

It sounds like a lot of hard work, but hey, what a bike you'll have at the end - gotta be worth doing properly.

as soon as i get the frame i will post the frame number,
can anyone get a set of decals for the rc100 ?
as for the task ahead, i'm a very patient guy, it may take a long time but its the journer nt the destination, but when it's built up it will be strictly for road use.
as for the front mech, it fits directly to the frame.
and as for the seat post iv'e got some wd40 ready to start with.

You'll be looking for a Mavic or Campag braze on front mech then, try and avoid the Shimano ones the mount angle is wrong...

gil_m":2wza8ndg said:
You'll be looking for a Mavic or Campag braze on front mech then, try and avoid the Shimano ones the mount angle is wrong...

XC Pro front mech fits fine too.

Good call on the cable guides. The original grey ones are extinct and the black Cannondale ones that also fit are now very hard to come by. All my usual US sources have run out.

Si

When it comes to paint, Argos is Bristol have a good handle on RC100s having done 3 that I know of in the past 2 years. They have a source for the neon and their grigio silver (I think) is a fairly good match for RC100.

Here's my one that they sprayed for me:

0dbdb5d8.jpg

Do a search on this site for DrS' 10 page build thread, contains a load of very good info. My three page thread is not so informative as I outsourced so much of the work!

Finally, those magura mounts will work!

Glad you won ther auction Jeff,

Fingers crossed for that seatpost....hetre's to making your dreams come true!

Regards

Rich

Back