Coolwall October 2011 - Entry Level Groupsets

Coolwall October 2011 - Entry Level Groupsets

• Cool

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
I'm voting cool, not based on fashion or even functionality, but based on the fact that my first 'proper' mountain bike had a selection of Altus (mainly C10 but with a hint of A20 whoa!!) which was the son of GS.

My first mountain bike also, of course, introduced me to mountain biking back in 1992/93. I f*cking loved that bike (a Univega Rover T2.5 in black chrome don't you know) and the adventure's I had on it, with it eventually looking like mutton dressed as lamb with the amount of mid range red ano fitted, it also had braces and dandruff in the form of the crankset and the clockdial shifters. But I loved it, and it made want more....

It also never ever broke, more than can be said for higher end stuff I've used over the years.....

My 503 has an Altus A10 group that's been (ab)used by a kid for nearly a decade. No problems whatsoever. The rear mech has been replaced at some point by an old Acera, but that was probably the result of a crash (plenty of scars on the right-hand chainstay support that theory).

I'm actually in the process of acquiring an A10 mech. That's how cool these parts are.

Up here in MacRetro land I'm considered the champion of blue collar bikes.
However a blue collar bike aspires to better things, it can be better with better kit.
Entry level groupsets get the job done and certain manufacturers could make well functioning kit at the budget end but its not cool.
At the Bikestation recycling charity in Edinburgh there are drawers full of every conceivable component. You'd be hard pressed to find anything mid end let alone high end but you will find loads of low end that only no idea folk pull out to fit to a bike.
I will fit low end if its interesting such as a rear deralier mentioned on the Disraeli Gears site as based on XT but on a budget. Other than that even I will try to find better stuff.
Low end groupsets are NOT cool :roll:

Nah - not feeling the coolness of 200GS, it could have been made to look so much better if just a bit more thought had gone into it, but no it was just so ugly. The chainset being the worst culprit, I mean... just look at it! :(

I think coolness was kind of LX upwards really.....

Uncool! I never started with these groupsets! I decided to save some more money for a decently equiped Stumpjumper with DX! Thank GOD for that!

Back