My name is Rob, and I can't stop buying bikes......

Anyway,back on track with this before we get all depressed. :roll:

Kona Cinder Cone as purchased:

9bd8e691.jpg

Lovely condition:

31b1cb59.jpg

No scrapes on the chainstay, almost no chainsuck

73f04d6f.jpg

Very minor dent in toptube:

181765b3.jpg

Drivetrain barely used (this is for sale):

f829e6fb.jpg

Headset still smooth, new bearings and grease and its like new:

ac9262d0.jpg

All original kit on it:

434cb2cf.jpg

It even had a 400mm USE seatpost in perfect nick on it too. Sweet!!

I have put some new wheels on it (X517 on those LX hubs in that nice grey colour - was saving for Borrego), a high rise Tioga Avenger NOS stem (position is way too low as it is for me) and a more modern LX chainset (Octalink) on.

Any ideas on tyres? I want some semi-slick types tyres. I was thinking about some of the Halo Twin Rail tyres in the skinwall flavour - are they really heavy??

I do have a chance at some of the original early 90's Continental Double Fighter tyres - not the modern all black ones - the ones with the grey centre section, black outer tread and brown walls. What do people think of these? They would be NOS.

Cheers all

Blimey, from 'Bike' here in sunny old Bristol.

Probably had a good peek at that very bike on the shop floor as a teenager.

Apologies for the crappy pic in advance...

Set up now so it won't ruin my spine - high rise T-bone stem on there. I have an X-Lite riser bar coming too. It's going to be a "street" and touring bike.

b4a4b775.jpg

Those'll be the riser bars I posted this morning.

My wife has just ordered her second custom made Serotta. She actively encourages my bike habit, mainly because her two fancy bikes are worth multiples of my hoard of semi-tat.

Not to go into this too deeply, but I reckon that the larger the number of bikes you have the less likely you are to indulge in marital infidelity. Keep your promiscuity in the bike room et etc. Perhaps there should be a forum survey?

So, all you need to do is a find a wife with a taste for extraordinarily expensive custom made bicycles - then any purchases below £4K sneak under the radar... Simples.

i actually met a girl once who had a piece of bicycle wall art

she didnt want to go out with me though :(

Kona's are the weed of the addicts world, plentiful, good fun and relatively harmless. They don't always lead onto the harder things but some people may be susceptible to progression from them. In my case I ended up doing lines of pace in photo shoots. I flirted with crack (a 1994 ManitouHT) and am worried I may start mainlining the more boutique end of the component Market in the absence of finding room to inject more complete bikes into the collection.

My house is a sordid drug den, except not sordid and full of blingy bikes.

JeRkY":ujg17kh7 said:
Kona's are the weed of the addicts world, plentiful, good fun and relatively harmless. They don't always lead onto the harder things but some people may be susceptible to progression from them. In my case I ended up doing lines of pace in photo shoots. I flirted with crack (a 1994 ManitouHT) and am worried I may start mainlining the more boutique end of the component Market in the absence of finding room to inject more complete bikes into the collection.

I like this!!

What can we fit into these categories:

So "weed" bikes are Kona/GT/Marin?/Specialized - give a timeless hit and don't seem to go out of fashion.
"Cocaine" bikes - Pace/Orange/Yeti/Mountain Goat - more expensive but reasonably safe considering the hit you get
"Crack" bikes - Manitou/Klein - any others?? - expensive, a bit hit but it's gonna damage you, maybe not straight away but very soon!!

And how about "LSD" bikes - long drawn out high/experience, old fashioned but people in the know love it!! Potential for long term mental problems........ 80's Saracens/Double Ubrake/rollercam bikes/anything with cow-horns/flouro Muddy Fox's etc etc.

Rob Atkin":23loym9z said:
JeRkY":23loym9z said:

I like this!!

What can we fit into these categories:

So "weed" bikes are Kona/GT/Marin?/Specialized - give a timeless hit and don't seem to go out of fashion.
"Cocaine" bikes - Pace/Orange/Yeti/Mountain Goat - more expensive but reasonably safe considering the hit you get
"Crack" bikes - Manitou/Klein - any others?? - expensive, a bit hit but it's gonna damage you, maybe not straight away but very soon!!

And how about "LSD" bikes - long drawn out high/experience, old fashioned but people in the know love it!! Potential for long term mental problems........ 80's Saracens/Double Ubrake/rollercam bikes/anything with cow-horns/flouro Muddy Fox's etc etc.

All I know is that I have a Fat addiction :cool:

Back