At what point did mountain bikers become so rude?

Most of the riders in my area are really friendly, but there are a few (mainly associated with a local over-priced bike shop :roll: ) that can be plain rude.
I tend to throw their rudeness back at them by working extra hard to overtake them on their £5K bikes, and then mock them while doing so :D

Always an interesting debate this one.

I think have others have said above it's down to the person. Some people are rude, some mountain bikers are rude, some roadies are rude.

Although it's not the normal 'roadies are rude' thread but a variation there on my experiences locally are often the reverse. Normally ride the road locally (in dangerous black retrobike kit) due to a dearth of decent trails. Always try to acknowledge other cyclists but am often blanked / ignored by 'mountain bikers' on their 150mm trail centre weapons with knapsacks the size of which would shame a Royal Marines recruit fresh from sessioning the local canal towpath.

What John said!

I always try and say hello to everyone, or at least nod and smile, normally I get some sort of response, sometimes people are just rude, most usually ramblers (the 'classic' I suppose).

I had a classic the other day whilst approaching the top of a hill, and trying to breath not only from my mouth and nose but also through my ears and arse,

"Allan!!! Allan!!! There is a bell-less bicycle approaching!!!!"
"Yes there is dear!!!"

The fact they had obviously heard me coming without a bell was lost on them, the fact that I told them I would have called to them if I could breathe and talk at the same time was met with.....

"Tsk"

Some people are just antisocial or rude by nature, if you see that rider again make a point of shutting the gate!

I smile at every cyclist be he road,mountain or commute :D
I sometimes even stop them and force my bike chat upon them.

Most are lucky and manage to escape :oops:

Never had anyone be rude to me :? i think they take a look at me and decide its not worth the risk :LOL: :LOL:

makster":n29g47yj said:
Most of the riders in my area are really friendly, but there are a few (mainly associated with a local over-priced bike shop :roll: ) that can be plain rude.
I tend to throw their rudeness back at them by working extra hard to overtake them on their £5K bikes, and then mock them while doing so :D

agreed, but i do think there is a more social vibe comming from north of the border, you only have to look at the post count in the area groups.

i try to nod and say hello as i pass folk.

in the city it doesnt matter, its each for there own, in towns its hit and miss and in the sticks its usually accepted.......

treat people like you would like to be treated.

warpedboy2":2hf4k2wc said:
Time was, when out on the trail, (or even on the road) cyclists used to say hello, or at the very least nod their heads. The only exception to this (in my experience) was a small number of "serious" roadies.

Now, (at least in sussex) hardly anybody reciprocates. What happened has happened in the last ten years? ( Or is it because i'm down south now?)

Today this was taken to a whole new level. On the south downs way there are gates. Lots of em. Usually halfway down a downhill too ( yeah thanks for that....). Anyway, i'm aproaching a gate coming up hill, and spot another rider in the distance coming doenhill. So, being a kind courteous soul, I opened the gate, and waited for him to come through before continuing on my way. Not only did he not say thanks, the t*sser did'nt even acknowledge that I was there.

Has anybody else experienced behavior like this, or is it just around the south downs?

Go back to that gate over the next few weeks the t*sser probably rides the same route week in week out ....wait till he is about five yards from the gate ......and then let it shut ;)

Latest posts

Back