At what point did mountain bikers become so rude?

warpedboy2

Retrobike Rider
Time was, when out on the trail, (or even on the road) cyclists used to say hello, or at the very least nod their heads. The only exception to this (in my experience) was a small number of "serious" roadies.

Now, (at least in sussex) hardly anybody reciprocates. What has happened in the last ten years? ( Or is it because i'm down south now?)

Today this was taken to a whole new level. On the south downs way there are gates. Lots of em. Usually halfway down a downhill too ( yeah thanks for that....). Anyway, i'm aproaching a gate coming up hill, and spot another rider in the distance coming doenhill. So, being a kind courteous soul, I opened the gate, and waited for him to come through before continuing on my way. Not only did he not say thanks, the t*sser did'nt even acknowledge that I was there.

Has anybody else experienced behavior like this, or is it just around the south downs?

i've always found roadies up here the worst , i even had a mouth full of abuse from one for cycling a dh bike on the road :? the boy changed his tune a mile or so down the road after i caught him :twisted:

i always get nods/& "alright's" round here :cool:

Surprisingly , because most of Surrey's population are tossers, cyclists round here are a cheery bunch, at least outside of the "Surrey Hills" mecca. Roadies still insist on wearing black though, which makes them somewhat tricky to see in the shady lanes.

i find it just depends on the person.

inexperienced cyclists will say hello if you do first, but they don't know the nod system.

i also find it depends what bike you're riding, meaning i notice roadies don't nod etc to mountain bikers things like that. also what you're wearing, lycra wearers tend to not like baggy short wearers.

i tend to nod/say hello to loads of people mostly you get a return nod/hello but not saying thank you to someone who has politely improved your ride is just crap.

I have to say that it depends where you are.

I have been cycling over hills in Malaysia, Mexico, Peru or wherever, and of course when you meet some others you stop and chat, or even spend a night swapping stories.

Meeting other adventure cyclists is an event.

Maybe it is a good sign that in busy places where there are lots of cyclists it is no longer seen as something unusual enough to acknowledge.

Personally I wish it was the case that we all took time to notice each other, whatever we are travelling on or in.

:)

Pretty much get the trails to ourselves up here. One benefit of living in the most sparsly populated area in England. When you do encounter another soul they are usually very cheery indeed.

I have noticed that folk are less friendly at trail centres though.

I know that alot of the DH boys at my local are pretty rude really. They look down upon others and their rides (snobs).
There is 1 or 2 who even work in a bike shop who are ultra rude/snobby.
Im really not sure why though? People are cycling and enjoying themselves, so why the rudeness?? :?

But thats not to say all riders are rude, juts these few i have noticed and often their kind. When getting to my local its hit and miss as to who will say hello etc.

Back