Aelle Tubed Zeus Update (for those who remember it)

Lazarus

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Had a Zeus come in as part ex on some parts, put her up for sale as a frame that needed partially re-spraying, got no offers until a very nice chap liked it and asked for it to be re-built after being resprayed. Its on its way to Oxford tomorrow. Oops ... that should read Cambridge :oops:

Thought those of you who saw it might like to peruse the rebuild for ideas / curiosity to see how she turned out :) Myself I think she looks back to her best considering I had to preserve the original decals and intricate paintwork as best I could (wouldn't be what it is without the original design/colours/decals).

Its not perfect by any means, but a very serious improvement I will concede. 2 days of respraying just to get the balance of colour right, since the blue forks just had to go, as did the blue part of the colour scheme. Kept going back to it and adding / over spraying earlier work before I was happy the balance of colours was just right. Used pearlescent black as the colour change (damned nice colour it is too in the flesh)

My best to anyone who pops by, yours Laz.

Full Spec of the build

Frame: Zeus Brand Columbus Aelle Tre Tubi

Fork: (came with the frame ?)

Headset: Shimano 105
Stem: Midnight Blue (not black) Cinelli XA 85mm
Handlebar: Fiamme (snake/London)
Bar Tape: Halfords Own (rather good actually)

Brake Levers/Brifters: Shimano 105
Brake Calipers: Shimano 105
Brake Pads: Shimano Low Profile 60's
Brake Cables: Teflon coated

Shifters: Shimano 600 (1984 version)
Front Derailleur: Shimano 600 (1984 version)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 600 (1984 version)
Derailleur Cables: generic
Cassette: 7speed Shimano
Chain: kmc (I think)
Cranks: Shimano 600 (1984 version)
Chainrings: Shimano 600 (1984 version)
Bottom Bracket: Shimano ?
Pedals: Shimano PD T100's

Rims: Vuelta Airline 6063 - T6
Hubs: Shimano 300 Ex
Hub Skewers: Shimano 300 Ex
Nipples: ?
Spokes: ?
Tyres: Michelin Tracer 20c
Tubes: ?

Saddle: Selle Italia Heffe
Seatpost: Kalin ?
Seatpost Binder: no brand

Bottle Cage: mt. Zefal
Extras:

Weight: 10kg

PS: Paint & Lacquer £30, New Gear & Brake cables & Bar Tape £20. SOLD for £175 to the door.

Attachments

• DSCF0624.JPG
    DSCF0624.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 1,492
  • DSCF0468.JPG
    DSCF0468.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 1,487
Just a few more pics (Full Spec Above)

Attachments

• DSCF0625.JPG
    DSCF0625.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 1,485
  • DSCF0626.JPG
    DSCF0626.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 1,483
  • DSCF0647.JPG
    DSCF0647.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,482
  • DSCF0634.JPG
    DSCF0634.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 1,481
Thanks for the responses :) Just thought seeing it transformed might give those who are thinking about re-furbing some encouragement. The frame was a decent 1, made of a very decent tubing. The majority of paint work was OK and the best of it could be saved. Sometimes you have to see beyond a bikes current state to visualise the end.

I always knew this frame would scrub up nicely with the £30 spent on it. The extra £20 on cabling & bar tape was also well worth it. No point scrimping at the level of cabling / finishing touches etc :).

All in all, not a bad bike at all for just "a fair bit of effort, little bit of vision, and some decent kit" :) yours Laz.

As the lucky buyer, would like to confirm what a great job Laz did on this bike and what a pleasure he is to deal with . He dug me out of a no-bike tight spot and has built a very interesting, attractive, high spec & quick machine in less than a week. Sounds like it took a couple of late nights and I can't believe he's not a few quid out of pocket ! Thanks again for all your work Laz ; this bike is already clocking up new miles...much appreciated !

Your comments and PM make it ALL worthwhile John :) " I was never going to be a millionaire, but I do enjoy life, especially when my hobby allows others to keep busy with their riding and puts smiles on faces, aswell as bums on saddles :)"

You take care my friend, twas an absolute pleasure to have sorted this for you :) Yours Anthony aka Laz.

Back