How to remove shock from 1998 Marin Mount Vision

marinking

Retro Guru
Need some help please guys. Im trying to rmove the shock from my 1998 Marin Mount Vision. Ive undone the bolts nearest the front of the bike, and managed to remove the front end of the shock from the frame.
I am stuck on the rear bolts though. They have come undone, but I cant see how to remove the shock .

Any ideas?

It should be the same as the Wolf Ridge I built for my daughter and it has a shaft that goes through the bushes/spacers which is threaded at each end with nuts not bolts.
When I had to remove it I found that the shaft was seized in the bush/spacer so it wouldn't just push out. Soaked it in WD40 then put a couple of washers under the nut on one side without the nut on other side. Carefully tightened the nut to move the shaft, it was very tight. When it eventually moved a bit I transferred the nut to other side and did the same till it moved again. You'll not get much movement as there's not a lot of thread at each end of shaft.
Once it was moving OK I drifted it out using a centre punch so that I wouldn't damage the threads. Support the swing-arm when you do this.

I've undone the nuts fine. And the shaft is spinning freely between the bushes. Should it just push out then? or do I need to wind it out using nuts on either side?

Are the bushes turning with the shaft or is the shaft turning on it's own?

If it's turning on it's own it should just push out, if it's turning the bushes it's probably seized in the bushes. If it's seized you''l need to free it the way I did.

The fact that you managed to undo both nuts without the shaft moving suggests to me it is seized.

The metal bushes are spinning round when I rotate the shaft, so they are seized together then?
I dont have a centre punch, so any other suggestion on how to remove the shock?

Have you sprayed the bushes/spacers with something like WD40?

Unless you are lucky, just trying to knock out the shaft with a drift and hammer, you are going to damage things. Try using my method of using the nuts with washers to ease the shaft from side to side, applying penetrating fluid to loosen corrosion between shaft and bushes/spacers.
As I said there's not a lot of threads on the ends of shaft so you'll have to alternate from side to side. When you've got it moving keep spraying it with WD40 so that it penetrates right in to loosen the corrosion. Only then use a drift and and hammer.
A suitable sized bolt (smaller in diameter so it can pass through spacers) can be used as a drift but you will more than likely damage the end of shaft if you have to hit it hard, that's why I used a centre punch so I could hit the centre of shaft.

If you damage, flatten, the end of shaft it will jam in the spacer as you try to knock it through. Support the swing arm during thumping the shaft with tool number 1.

Back