Ritchey Team Comp (Finish pics pg3)

doctor-bond":fw372nsx said:
I like the chainset, and I think the close ratios are what's been referred to as half-step, but can't work out the advantage it gives.
In olden days when gear ranges were narrow and derailleurs clunky, it often made sense to use two closely spaced chainrings to halve the jumps between the rear gears. Tourists would add a granny ring to give themselves a range of closely spaced cruising gears, plus a few low gears for the hard climbs. Kaisers cranks probably came from a touring bike: Cannondale were using half-step-and-granny gearing well into the late eighties.

I've considered adding a 45t big ring to a 28-42 2x9 (11-32 at the back). Off road you get to use it like a 2x9. On road you have a huge range of closely spaced cruising gears. It makes more sense for a bike that spends a lot of its time on the road though.

Thanks for all the kind words folks :)

Indeed most of the groupset was pulled form a tourer, the chainset was fitted to get me going. I put the bike together as you see it for our national meet (where it won bike of the ride :) ) Future changes will be to the chainrings, tyres and cables. And live in hope for the brazed Ritchey bars :eek:

Back