'96 Zaskar LE

Stunning :) , thought i was going to have to say it looked better with the mags (before scolling down to the pics), as mentioned usually GT = RockShox but have to say the forks and whole bike look ace ;)

16" is the best size too :cool:

nicely presented, no doubt when time & funds allow you to get it to how you want it will be very nice indeed!

3dv on a polished zaskar should be the law imho! it just looks right.

mikee":w7h21c0x said:
4 bolt crank needs to go too

Sort of agree with you on that... also 175mm crank which might be a bit long for my wee legs. Time will tell though, crank is growing on me. Only really just getting used to seeing my bike in it's new guise! :D

jax13":w7h21c0x said:
3dv on a polished zaskar should be the law imho! it just looks right.

*phew* it's not just me and some weird purple fetish then. :) Difficult to know how far to go with it though.

(Although if mikee has a nice crank and some 3DV middleburn rings to swap for my XT I might be pursaded to swap. ;)

To be honest - I know that full Shimano might be a bit dull (esp. comared to the HOs, cantis, chill pills and so on that was on before) but I just want to be retro and functional. XT sort of fits the bill for that every time. :)

looks great! nice to see it still going strong. i have an LTS frame of the same era stashed under my mumand dads house :LOL:

Oh and by the way, just wanted to say a quick thank you to all the retrobikers who have got me this far; be it some friendly advice on the forum, a karma crown race for the Pace (can't remember was that was, sorry), RC7, washers and fiddly bits and mountains of rebuild advice for the RC36 from Tim (who else), porcipaws from racerx, skewers, headset from Olly (who took them off an existing bike), thingy (sorry forgtten the name)'s use post and shim - someone else's karma shim and so on - I wouldn't have this lovely (albeit still in progress) bike ready to go. There were others, I'm sure.

(And this even includes fluffychicken endless hunt for 3dv brake cable outers - even though I did chicken out! :D )

Thanks everyone. :) Looking forward to putting all the bits I took back off the Zaskar on to the MaxTrax again... oh yes, another project lurks... :)

i wouldn't worry too much about an alternative crank throwing out the look of a matching group.

for me, if the mech's & shifters match, the brakes & levers match, you've got a matching wheelset & suitable finishing gear the rest will fall into place nicely & give a good looking build. there are a lot of factory spec builds out there already that will have full groups from hubs to mech's to levers and back down to the brakes so having something a little different will never be a bad thing.

merckx":3ccw4wk5 said:
looks great! nice to see it still going strong. i have an LTS frame of the same era stashed under my mumand dads house :LOL:

Thanks - get the brasso out on your LTS, give a tiny piece a polish and then remember, like I did, why you fell in love with it in the first place. Failing that give it me... I fancy a bouncy bike. :D

Back