'96 Zaskar LE

petitpal

Retrobike Rider
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So, after six months of searching for bits and bobs, scrounging cash, trying to live a family life and rebuild a bike at the same time... I finally have my old Zaskar LE back in one piece. She's a '96 and I'm quite happy with the results so far... (wheels don't match, bizare choice of spoke nipples on the rear and so on). Good start though.

As a quick bit of background (I'll do a full thread at some point if anyone's interested and when I get chance to resize some more photos!). I bought the frame for this back in '96, switched most of the stuff from my Saracen maxtrax on to it and rode, raced it for a good time. Then I moved house, sort of left it at mom and dad's, eventually picked it back up, had a family (same as a lot of us I guess) and now it's ten years later (possibly more). So, stripped her back to a frame, lots of brasso type polishing, left the original decals, original wheels, saddle, cassette and chain and bought some new stuff. :) Pace forks are RC36 MXCD, groupset is XT (original parallel pull V brakes - squeaky, squeaky), headset is a new VP one (will get a 3DV Chris King if the day ever comes I can afford one). Not 100% happy with the Kore stem but yet to give her a proper ride.

Essentially this is my bike - I don't have anything modern. So, she won't be a garage queen or dry miles only, hence I didn't spend £££ on NOS stuff (that and having no cash!). Only NOS were the purple porcipaws (thank you racer-x) which I've always loved and only stopped using when they stopped making them in purple, and the USE post. I only tried these tyres on before selling them (Magic 2.1s) but now I'm not so sure, kind of want to keep them.. hmm.. decisions...

Anyway - enough babbling - more pics to follow on a different thread, but here's a taster. :) Few pics of 'then' to start with:

Attachments

• 3_PostGarage.jpg
    3_PostGarage.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 4,734
  • 2_Mom_96.jpg
    2_Mom_96.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 4,732
  • 1_BobsBash_96.jpg
    1_BobsBash_96.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 4,733
and now... :)

Attachments

• Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 4,722
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 4,721
  • BritishFront.jpg
    BritishFront.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 4,720
Nowhere near as nice as some of the stuff on here I know. But she's mine(!) and there's plenty of time for flites and decals in the spring. :D

(Oh yeah and the Crud catcher is blu-tacked on for the photos :oops: )

not often you see Pace on a GT for some reason. GT normally = rockshox.

Looks nice though.

Agreed, to both points. :) Used to run Mag 21s (see first couple of pics) but fancied a change and always drooled after Pace back in the day. And if retrobike means anything to me, it's about buying the bike stuff you lusted after in your youth. :)

Thanks for the nice words, both, btw. :)

Back