1989/90 clockwork restomod. 100% shimano free

Maybe try and get some Indy SL's to try and save some weight?
I have 2 pairs of them and they are not a bad fork, plus lighter then the XC's. Both mine have stiff springs and long travel kit and they ride very nice.
Nice bike by the way!

quick update... i've just landed an alloy syncros crankset on ebay to replace the race face one, forks have arrived (just waiting for brake bosses then they'll be fitted too) so fingers crossed they will combine to make a lighter, quicker, nimbler bike. pics will follow when the crank lands & i get opportunity to rebuild!

next, i need to find some lighter (or more suited) pedals to replace the horrific red v8's and i'm now contemplating replacing the handlebar & brake levers for something that matches up a little bit better.

final update before the liposuction!!!

syncros crank acquired
new square taper bb acquired
f9 fork acquired
syncros saddle acquired (might switch back to the spoon depending on weight vs comfort trade off)
titanium brahma bar acquired and en route to me (replacing the x-lite & control tec bits up front.)
pedals are my only remaining quibble. I am toying with the idea of some magnesium bodied wellgo beartraps but in the meantime i'll use my old triple traps.

the forks are going to drop the front end by about 1 1/2" so I may find the 90mm stem too short, hopefully the brahma bars will help resolve this as they should give me a bit more reach.

last pics before the surgery!!

2011-12-28155845.jpg

2011-12-28160048.jpg

2011-12-28155936.jpg

2011-12-28155947.jpg

2011-12-28160104.jpg

got the rigid forks & titanium brahma bar fitted today

2011-12-31135325.jpg

2011-12-31135358.jpg

2011-12-31135843.jpg

to me, the slime green doesn't work with the polished fork but I am hoping to strip & powdercoat the frame in the next couple of months & send it gloss black with some fresh decals over the top. The gloss black frame, polished forks, stem & crank & a Ti bar should all match into some red ano very nicely & work well against the more modern arch rivals & x-9 kit.

the only question left in my head is what to do with the grips. I have some full length black rubber grips for the brahmas & some standard length red syncros rubber grips (pictured nearer the top). The orange catalogue for 93/94 shows the 'ram rod' brahma style bars with a standard length grip & they don't look quite right somehow but, if its good enough for them its good enough for me & I can always go down the route of cork tape or full length rubber grips at a later date if comfort / aesthetics dictate it.

next step - get the syncros cranks polished, source a new middle ring & swap out the bolts for the red ano srp ones I acquired last week.

2011-12-31152206.jpg

a few gratuitous midnight in the kitchen shots... frame decals fitted, crank polished & fresh decals from gil, new stronglight zircal middle ring, ano chainring bolts & srp crank bolts, fsa bottom bracket. pedals are magnesium bodied welgo beartraps.

P3070485.jpg

P3070484.jpg

P3070483.jpg

P3070482.jpg

P3070481.jpg

P3070480.jpg

P3070479.jpg

better pictures to follow when i get it into its natural habitat!!

final spec:-

Frame: orange clockwork 17" 1989 / 90

Fork: orange f9?

Headset: modus 1" threaded
Stem: syncros 1" quill 0deg rise, 90mm
Handlebar: raleigh special products titanium brahma
Grips: syncros
Barends: n/a

Brakes: avid arch rival 40
Brake Pads: avid
Brake Cables: clarks
Brake Levers: avid SD 7

Shifters:
Front Derailleur: sram x-9
Rear Derailleur: sram x-9
Derailleur Cables: sram OEM
Cassette: sram pg970
Chain: KMC missing link
Cranks: syncros
Crank Bolts: SRP
Chainrings: syncros outer & granny, stronglight zircal middle
Chainring bolts: unknown (srp, kcnc or similar)
Bottom Bracket: FSA
Pedals: welgo magnesium beartrap

Hub Skewers: brandX hope copies
Rims: unknown mavic
Hubs: hope mono
Nipples: unknown stainless
Spokes: unknown unknown stainless
Tyres: road = conti double fighter II / xc = panaracer fire xc pro folding 2.1
Tubes: maxxis welter weight

Saddle: charge spoon
Seatpost: syncros
Seatpost Binder: brandX hope copy

Weight: approx 28lbs, will confirm when xc tires are fitted, my aim was approx 26lbs... fingers crossed!

i've got some orange oranges but i'm not sure whether to fit them instead of the chrome ones.

gil has done a blinder with them, the only problem now is it makes all the chrome / polished components look grubby!

last shot from macc on its first outing. Need to fettle the brakes & possibly swap out the pads because they are not performing well enough so that needs looking into. Last job is to get some heli tape over the crank decals to give them a bit of protection from heelrub & I could benefit from a new back tire.

P3080513-1.jpg

It wasn't a bad view really!

P1010504.jpg

Back