Sun Worsop 5 Speed Racer - Please help me find out more.

Lana

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, so not sure I'm posting in the right section, please feel free to move this post if it belongs somewhere else. Thanks.

I've got an old racing bike and would like to find out more about it.

Should I be doing it up or leave it well alone?

It's blue, but I looked on the internet and the ones I found are different kind of blue (or so it seems). I've take a couple of pics, the saddle is embossed "The Wright Saddle Co. Wrights, Birmingham, England, W3N". There's also some writing on the frame, but it's quite rusty I believe it reads "World Professional Pursuit Championship", there's also a bit of yellow banner going round that, but not able to read what it says anymore. The plaque on the front just says "Sun" across and "Worksop" down.

Any information and/or advise welcome.

I gather I'm meant to check for a serial number, so will have a look for that tomorrow morning.

Thanks,
Lana

Lana sounds interesting, look forward to some pictures. Probably made at the Carlton factory in Worksop.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I couldn't find a serial number, but on closer inspection I noticed that the blue is not the original colour, it was either white or green originally. It's in quite some state as it has been stored in a shed, only came across it by accident and quite like it. I will try and post a picture later.

Could you let me know if there is a serial number on all of them and if there is, where should I look? Think I will bring it home tomorrow, if I get a chance and give it a good clean, perhaps something else will catch my attention.

Is it best to give a complete overhaul or keep it as original as possible? I think a complete overhaul is needed especially as it isn't the original colour.

Lana

Lana":ki1l33gs said:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I couldn't find a serial number, but on closer inspection I noticed that the blue is not the original colour, it was either white or green originally. It's in quite some state as it has been stored in a shed, only came across it by accident and quite like it. I will try and post a picture later.

Could you let me know if there is a serial number on all of them and if there is, where should I look? Think I will bring it home tomorrow, if I get a chance and give it a good clean, perhaps something else will catch my attention.

Is it best to give a complete overhaul or keep it as original as possible? I think a complete overhaul is needed especially as it isn't the original colour.

Lana

Pictures will help!

The serial number should be on the rear drop out, under the BB shell or behind the top of the seat tube.

Rear drop out is the likely spot though!

Great looked all the other places, so must be the rear drop out. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to see anything useful. How many digits should there be and is there a list or something similar I could match it to?

Thanks again.
Lana

Hi,

I'm back, still no pictures, but I found the number. Unfortunately most of it is too damaged by the nut to read what it is, but the last two digits are 60. Is that of any help? The first digit might be a capitel I, but I'm not sure if it is a digit are not.

Any further help/advise would be great.

Thanks,
Lana

Hi Lana,

I might be way off but I think I remember seeing a Sun Snipe Plus outside a bike shop in North Yorkshire with some text on te seat tube about the World Pursuit Championships... this lad on Flickr has the same bike - you can see the Pursuit Championships text on the seat tube...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18826987@N05/2143102929/

Is this anything like yours?

A characteristic of less expensive Sun (and Carlton) bikes is for the the tube that run from the back wheel up to where the seatpost comes out to be made of one piece that wraps over the top tube immediately in front of the seat post - again, if yours has that, it'd help pin down the model.

White and green were the colours of Sun's racing team so that sounds like a good bet for the bike's colour scheme.
[/img]

Hi Goldie,

Thanks for that. Yes, that's exactly the kind of bike I've got, just in a little worse condition! :)

I'm sure that tube runs round the seat frame but need to check again. One thing that caught my eye is the very short mud guard on the first bike as this is exactly what's on the my bike and you don't seem to see them about much? Are they not liked?

As for the number, is that useless as I've only got the last two digit really?

I will try to clean the bike up some day soon and take some pictures. Are there certain parts of the frame that will help identify it?

Thanks again.
Lana

Back