occ schwinn stingray (phatray)

ollyb83

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Right, this was a complete impulse buy around 4/5 years ago, when i had more money than sense.

Bought it from a shop in london who shipped in the very first batch of these from the states, cost £200 inc shipping.

After a while i got bored with it, so swapped it for a losi lst2 nitro rc car, then a year later i sold the car.

In may 2010 i decided to buy another, a mate at work happened to be selling one.
After some haggling i bought it, when i got it home and stripped it down, to my surprise, it turned out to be my old stingray (still had my address card in bb shell).

Now its been modded to make it easier for me to ride, bigger bars, chopper sear and sissy bar, better brakes.

I'll post up some photos/spec later today.

p4pb6285767.jpg

p4pb6285769.jpg

p4pb6285772.jpg

Frame: schwinn stingray

Fork: schwinn triple

Headset: canecreek ahead
Stem: direct mount risers
Handlebar: 2' ape hanger
Grips: dmr zipgrips
Barends: dmr

Brakes: alhonga v's
Brake Pads: alhonga
Brake Cables: fibrax
Brake Levers: alhonga

Chain: knc bmx (2 joined together)
Cranks: schwinn
Crank Bolts: shimano
Chainrings: schwinn
Bottom Bracket: shimano unsealed
Pedals: wellgo

Rims: atv stars 20x4.75 rear, schwinn 24x2.00 front
Hubs: schwinn
Nipples: alloy
Spokes: stainless steel
Tyres: schwinn street slicks
Tubes: kenda/schwinn

Saddle: raleigh chopper seat
Seatpost: kalloy
Seatpost Binder: kalloy

Weight: dont think scales would take it, possibly round the 40-45lb mark

had a couple hour on this tonite,

repaired puncture in rear tyre,
put a full new set of alhonga v-brakes and cables on,
new brake levers,
new red dust caps,

picking up a set of red pedals tomorrow then shes done, may chuck a spare set of plastic pedals on in morning and ride her to work.

Fantastic bike, would look super cool without the front mudguard! This is what a Chopper should have been (ducking behind a wall).

both mudguards have been removed due to a fair bit of rust on the undersides.

the front is the rear off a raleigh chopper.

i also have a l.e.d. light kit that i made, that straps to the underside, infront of the stand.

can the 'fenders' not be sorted?

And i hope you make motorbike noises while you ride this!

the fenders can be sorted, but am looking at plastic ones.

a company near me makes trailers, i'm thinking one mudguard from a trailer may fit the rear and a rear of a hybrid should do the front.

i'm looking for a front 24" disc wheel, as i have a custom made mount to put a disc brake on the front, the rear is gonna take a bit more developement to work.

i did run 26" disc wheels on here once, was interesting,may try again as i still have the mountings i made.

this will be getting a full makeover over the next few weeks.

got a mad idea after reading about the surley pugsleys.

got on ebay, bought another rear wheel of a stingray (20x4.25),
when that arrives i'll make up some new yokes for the forks so i can widen them and mount the other rear on the front.

soon it will be a stingray fatbike.

Back