DURA ACE PEDALS

you might want to specify which component group you're trying to match up with as their are 5 variants of Dura Ace pedals from the early 80s that I know of.

i-am-iron-man":3ihk13pd said:
Its a 7700 groupset, but don't those pedals use a funny, specifc type of cleat?
The 7700 group pedals take SPD-R cleats (SH-81/82/90/91/92) which are still easy to get hold of.
The older 8 speed spd PD-7410 pedal uses the SH-70/71 cleats which are just as expensive as the SPD-R cleats (around £1:cool:

You might get away with using an SH-55 multi release cleat though

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If you need 7700s I've got a pair doing nothing, with the cleats to go with them.

More importantly though - not that many shoes are compatible with the cleats - so unless you already have some, you have shoes with switchable sole inserts, or want to buy some old/used ones then consider a different solution.

tonyf39":30rf7xr2 said:
you might want to specify which component group you're trying to match up with as their are 5 variants of Dura Ace pedals from the early 80s that I know of.

must be at least 9 in total think
1)the regular aero pedal with strap with the chromed steel back plate 7100?
2)the dyna drive strapped one with the 1 inch spindle 7200?
3) as per 1 but with black alloy back plate 7400
4) Lance pedal ... shimano spindle bearings etc and Look made body 7401
5) SPD one sided 7410
6) SPD-R 7700
7) "new style" SPD-SL alloy body with plastic plate on top 7800
:cool: new style again alloy body with Steel plate on top 7810
9) as per last model but injected carbon filled plastic body 7900

did I forget any?

dbmtb":2542rxpm said:
If you need 7700s I've got a pair doing nothing, with the cleats to go with them.

More importantly though - not that many shoes are compatible with the cleats - so unless you already have some, you have shoes with switchable sole inserts, or want to buy some old/used ones then consider a different solution.

thats right , they are "unique"

Attachments

• shimano cleat diagram.gif
    shimano cleat diagram.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 638
re pedals

Thanks everyone your help is greatly appreciated.
Gosh though i'm a little confused with all the technicalities...all I want is a good set of quality pedals to go with the groupset re period.
I didn't realise that my shoes needed to be more specific than I thought.
Also some reviews of these pedals don't tell a good story ie difficult to get out of etc.
I'm learning a lot here !!
In appreciation.
Steve

Personally I thought SPD-Rs were great. I was given a pair of matching shoes and pedals by Shimano prior to launch and compared to the stuff I was using before (Look pedals with Diadora Euros), they enabled me to pedal more smoothly.

Compared to what else was available at the time, you had a reduced distance to the pedal axle and a nice and durable cleat. And the bearings on Dura-ace version were phenomenal. Mine were raced for a season and ridden hard for 3 years after that. They still have no play and barring scratches, they are in excellent condition

For racing etc when you stay clipped in all the time the ease of entry/exit is not an issue. But for more relaxed riding, you'd definitely want something easier to use.

People complaining about pressure on the soles of their feet were not using stiff enough shoes. I never had this issue with that shoe/pedal combo - and I've had it since (and had it bad) with other shoes and pedals, so I'm not immune.

Back