19?? Rocky Mountain Stratos

If it's of any interest, I have this picture of one in much more like the factory specification. Yours seems to be upgraded in pretty much every respect, and once cleaned it will be a nice historic bike.

Attachments

• 1989 Stratos side.jpg
    1989 Stratos side.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,810
hi all
thanks for the comments. i did think there were some interesting features to this bike once i saw it with all the period after market bits. i may have to readjust my priority list and bump this proiect up a few. i plan on leaving it just the way it is componentwise as a bit of a time capsule. i'll take it apart and clean the components see what is working and what isn't. then possibly just recable it and ride it. there is a fair bit of rust on the tange fork. anything i can do about that? but i like that it still has original decals. so i will just live with the rust if i have to. should i do a light `polishing' of the frame? or just clean it and get rid of all the ugly stickers the guy put on it. keep the general used look to the whole bike. not too familiar with the bullseye cranks. first set i've seen it the flesh. anything specific to them i should know? will there be a standard bottom bracket in there or something special?
thanks
roy

I'd be inclined to remove the fork and give it a good cleaning and inspect that rust. I'd hate to see the fork snap and you wind up ruining that bike, and possibly injuring yourself too. Tange decals can be re-created, riders can't. Remove all the rust you can and give it a good spray with frame saver to prevent further rust from building up.

As for the frame, I'd definitely remove the after market "ugly" stickers and give it a good polish. A new straight razor blade will remove the curls at the edges of the factory decals and prevent them from tearing unless you're really good with clear adhesive and a toothpick.

Again - great find, but please be careful with the fork if it's as rusty as you say it is.

Retro_Roy":2ay5oyeo said:
there is a fair bit of rust on the tange fork. anything i can do about that?
If you're unsure, use a fine craft file (with pointed tip and 5mm wide) to remove all surface rust and all flaked or bubbled paint. As you take it down to sound metal, you'll be able to assess whether the amount that has been lost seems structurally significant. If not, prime with Kurust or whatever the Canadian equivalent is, which will convert remaining traces of rust to a stable state. Then over-paint.

Great find! Did you find it on Craigslist? I think there was on a few days back. Anyways I would do what has already been posted. Check it out for rust and if needed scrap the fork and add another rigid fork. I am sure there are tons of forks around, if you look hard enough! If your looking for a great place to find parts.....(I can't remember who told me) but try Pedal Depot and Our Community Bikes. My number 1 source for anything older than 95. I am sure they will have what you are looking for!

hi all
finally got around to putting the finishing touches on the stratos this weekend.
i still might touch up the crank arms. and that water bottle cage has to go too!!!
fork turned out to be in decent shape.
everything cleaned up reasonably well.
had to replace a few worn out bits.
goes without saying with these oldies.
looking forward to taking it for a spin next weekend.
another project done. but the list never seems to get any shorter. :? ;)
on to the next one. :LOL:
roy

Attachments

• RM Stratos 006.JPG
    RM Stratos 006.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 750
  • RM Stratos 005.JPG
    RM Stratos 005.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 749
  • RM Stratos 004.JPG
    RM Stratos 004.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 750