Newbie needs counselling!

Orange&Blue

Retro Newbie
Hello all,

Just stumbled across this site and have now developed a serious case of self loathing!

Have been cycling for more years than I care to remember and have just stopped racing those skinny road bikes after 10 years or so…..but, prior to being tempted to the dark side I raced Mountain Bikes for a few years in the early 1990’s.

First bike was a Trek 830, Blue with Suntour mix and match components. This was a great Uni commuter but was upgraded to a Scott Pro, again with Suntour components, a fantastic Tange Prestige frame and those funky brakes that twisted towards the direction of motion to increase performance (can’t remember the name). That lasted 2 months until some thieving scum decided they liked it as well!!

On to a Kona Lava Dome (the yellow Jackson Pollock paintwork one). This bike got me hooked and my first proper pay packet got me my race bike.

Kona Explosif frame, blue and silver with the fluted down tube, Pace RC 35 forks with Control Tech Ahead stem and seatpost, Deore XT group (short Cage) and some hand built Mavic rims (sorry can’t remember the numbers). All topped off with a pair of Onza bar ends, Porcupine tyres and a Flite saddle. :D

My new self loathing comes from the fact that I sold this bike for next to nothing when I converted to the road as it was not getting much use. I’m sure I must have been short of the cash at the time but oh how I regret it now when I see the monstrosities that pass as MTB’s today!!

Just looking at the “Bike of the Monthâ€

Yep - I remember that Scott Pro! My mate had one back in 1990/1991 - awesome bike! Loved it. Black, white with red decals? Steel frame - oversized tubing with Ritchey megabytes...

Hi Orange and Blue,

I think you pretty much summed up how we all feel...now that you found this site, there'll be no going back...now we earn sensible money with our jobs, those exotica bikes don't seem as far out of reach as they used to :p

Have fun finding you dream!

Rich

stevet1":2zrscqha said:
Welcome to the club, and they were scott-pederson self-energising brakes :)

That's em!

jez-2-many-bikes":2zrscqha said:
Yep - I remember that Scott Pro! My mate had one back in 1990/1991 - awesome bike! Loved it. Black, white with red decals? Steel frame - oversized tubing with Ritchey megabytes...

Fond memories, just wish I'd been able to enjoy it more. Anyone got any pictures of one? Mine was the last one I've seen and that was in 1991!!

Back