I rode a full suspension bike today...

WD Pro":25r5pkvv said:
Horses for courses ...

Looking forward to a TDF winner using a FS bike ... :LOL:

WD :D

Seems more plausible than a world cup cross country winner using a road bike.

d00m":3sfr09sh said:
WD Pro":3sfr09sh said:
Horses for courses ...

Looking forward to a TDF winner using a FS bike ... :LOL:

WD :D

Seems more plausible than a world cup cross country winner using a road bike.

Or even a rigid mtb for that matter.

World class xc riders generally use hardtails at the moment, I can see a point where they mainly use full suss as a preference at some time, but it may not be in the forms currently popular.

There would be 0 benefit to full suss as currently known on the TDF.

Any springiness and dampening required can be engineered into the rigid bikes.

It is all down to the size of the obstacles.

Someone mentioned cobbled roads, well I will totally agree on most rigid forks these are a pita, but try them on a Jones.

There is nothing about 'suspension' that some clever steel working cannot achieve, albeit with vastly different geometry.

When you ride a hardtail out of the saddle you are using the front suspension and your legs as full suspension, everything going forward rotates around the front contact point.

You load that up, and the rear is trailing.

Rear suspension generally only becomes efficient when seated.

Modern or not.

Standing makes me a dynamic and responsive machine, sitting makes the terrain dictate most of the time.

Getting back to the thing about the New Forest, I would have to say it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been and whatever reason takes you there please go and experience it, to prove a point or not.

:)

Can't let a thread containing road bikes and cobbles pass without mentioning the Paris Roubais (never heard of this race until my brother mentioned it to me the other week). Road bikes on classic cobbled streets; a race for hard nuts if ever there was one. Everyone flat out and sideways on tiny tyres, no suspension and clouds of dust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z24N1GhAM70

And I used to think downhillers were mad... much respect to the roadies. :)

the point I think I am making Confused is that even on a flat (i.e not hilly) and rough (i.e. not road tarmac) surface, an FS will be faster, reasoning being that the bumnps are soaked up by the suspension so the rider CoG is not moving as much as it would on rigid so less energy is wasted by the rider.

It needs to be rougher than a gravel track, which is what jonnyboy's loop is on. It's also not a long enough route for the fatigue-reduction benefits of FS to make themselves felt, and (I suspect) lacks the kind of climbs upon which the traction benefits would be apparent either.

I love FS bikes, but they're clearly not the fastest bikes under all off-road circumstances. The bumpier and longer it is, the better, and the threshold of bumpiness is certainly not all that high, but it's higher than gravel ;)

If you think the Paris-Roubaix is craziness you should see what the 3 Peaks Cyclo Cross is like. I'm going at 30 miles an hour downhill across 'gravel' the size of footballs occasionally glancing down to see my carbon forks deflecting backwards and forwards about 50mm in each direction.

What is surprising is how much abuse a rigid bike will take especially with a good quality modern carbon fork. First time I did the Tour of Flanders ride I thought that the bike was going to disintegrate. It didn't and I found out I rather liked riding cobbles at high speed once I trusted the technology.

Not sure how you'll test this as mostly it's down to technique.

Carbon is amazing.

I used to messenger on a totally rigid klein with a carbon seatpost, given the geometry it was acting like a suspension unit, very effectively until it sheared.

highlandsflyer":14b27tub said:
Carbon is amazing.

I used to messenger on a totally rigid klein with a carbon seatpost, given the geometry it was acting like a suspension unit, very effectively until it sheared.

You see what you need there is some full suspension to take the strain off the components... :LOL: (ducks and runs for cover)

petitpal":2p7wq3ml said:
Can't let a thread containing road bikes and cobbles pass without mentioning the Paris Roubais (never heard of this race until my brother mentioned it to me the other week). Road bikes on classic cobbled streets; a race for hard nuts if ever there was one. Everyone flat out and sideways on tiny tyres, no suspension and clouds of dust.

Just an excuse to post a pic:

3962954493_edf0c92816.jpg

My full susser is very confortable, great and fast on technical sections,

BUT

Feels very heavy compared to my RB's and importantly not as much fun to ride.

I enjoy mixing it up and the different riding styles involved (even if i find myself aiming for the big roots on my rigid's as I would on my modern susser !)

Back